Summary: 1. Hallelujah What A Savior 2. Hallelujah For Our God 3. Hallelujah For The Resurrection 4. Hallelujah For the Evidence 5. Hallelujah For Salvation
- Words and Music by Philip P. Bliss, 1838–1876
- Written…short¬ly before his death
- He wrote 15 songs in our hymn book
Philip (38) and Lucy (35) Bliss
It was December 29, 1876, Philip (38) and Lucy (35) Bliss
were on a train shortly after 7 p.m. in a blinding snow storm. The train had just pulled out of Ashtabula, Ohio puffed its way across a trestle. Suddenly the passengers heard a terrible cracking sound. The trestle snapped and eleven rail cars plunged 75 feet down into a watery ravine. Even before the wooden cars slammed into the bottom, they were aflame, set afire by kerosene heaters. Philip Bliss escaped from the wreck but returned to try to rescue his wife Lucy, both perished in the fire, their bodies were never found. Of the 159 passengers in those cars, 92 were killed and most of the rest suffered serious injuries.
- The night before that terrible railroad accident at Ashtabula…he said to his audience, “I may not pass this way again”; then he sang a solo, “I’m Going Home Tomorrow.” How prophetic this proved of his own home going.
Matthew 27:22 (AV)
— 22 Pilate saith unto them, What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ? They all say unto him, Let him be crucified.
Acts 4:12 (AV)
— 12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Acts 5:42 (AV)
— 42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.
Psalm 68:20 (AV)
— 20 He that is our God is the God of salvation; ....
1 Thessalonians 5:9–10 (AV)
— 9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.
- Hebrews theme - "CHRIST IS SUPREME"
- Key word throughout the book "BETTER"
1. Hallelujah What A Savior
– Heb. 1:1-3
Hebrews 1:1a (AV) — 1 God, who at sundry (many) times and in divers (various) manners....
- Dreams (Jacob-Joseph), Visions (Daniel-Ezekiel), Visitations (Abraham-Moses-Joshua, Manifestations Israel-Gideon-Darius
- Man is in need of God's thoughts
Heb 1:1b — ...spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
- All of the OT prophets
- Ages passed on,
- First one and then another truth was revealed;
- One aspect and then another aspect of truth
- Bloody sacrifices one after another
- Until the fullness of time had come
Galatians 4:4 (AV)
— 4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
2. Hallelujah For Our God
v.2 His Son....v.3 express image of his person
a) “Appointed heir of all things.”
- He is the inheritor of the creation.
b) “By whom also He made the worlds.”
- He is the creator of the universe.
c) “Upholding all things,”
- He maintains the universe.
d) "On the right hand of the Majesty on high"
- He is the Sovereign of the universe.
v.3 Purged our sins