Summary: Should Christian families celebrate Halloween?
“Halloween –Harmless or Hellish?”
A Biblical overview of the occult . . .
1. The occult is nothing new.
When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living? (Isa 8:19) [Is. 9.13 / Hosea 4.12 / Micah 5.12]
Occult means “hidden”. It covers practices that are not approved of by God:
• astrology (Is. 47:13)
• casting spells (Deut. 18:11)
• consulting with spirits (Deut. 18:11)
• magic (Gen. 41:8)
• sorcery (Exodus 22:8)
• witchcraft (Deut. 18:10)
• spiritism (Deut. 18:11)
• Satan worship
2. Occult involvement was a problem in the early church.
• Magic [Acts 8:9-11]
Simon, magician in Samaria, claimed great powers, many followed him.
• Sorcery [Acts 13:8, 19:19]
Paul & Silas, opposed by Elymas, a sorcerer. Called him a child of the Devil / he was struck blind.
• Fortune telling [Acts 16:16]
Paul and Silas cast demons out of a fortune teller in Philippi, are cast into prison.
3. The occult is an abomination to God.
Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD. (Dt 18:10-12)
4. Occult involvement is strictly forbidden by God.
Do not practice divination or sorcery. Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God. (Leviticus 19:26, 31)
5. Increased interest in the occult is a sign of the end times.
The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. (1 Timothy 4:1)
Focus on t family - when our family participates in Halloween . . .
1. We knowingly align ourselves with something which has its roots in the occult.
"Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. (1 Cor 10:23-24)
2. We imitate something evil.
Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good.
[3 Jn 1:1]
3. We help to endorse and publicize Satan’s holiday.
Avoid every kind of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:22)
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. [Eph 5:11]
4. Our children are given a “taste” of the occult.
Taste and see that the LORD is good. (Psalm 34:8)
5. Is our involvement in Halloween pleasing to God?
Be imitators of God . . . you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light . . . and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. (Eph 5:1, 8-11)
ADAM & EVE thought taking the fruit was harmless.
LOT’S WIFE thought looking back was harmless.
SAMSON thought lying his head in Delilah’s lap was harmless.
ABRAHAM thought having another child by a slave girl would be harmless.