Summary: What God Has Done For Us Should Belong In The Category: “What We Cannot Forget”!
1. Have You Forgotten Something Recently?
- Probably, We All Forget Things! - IE: According To Karen Bolla, A Johns Hopkins Researcher, These Are The Things People Most Often Forget:
- Names - 83%
- Where Something Is - 60%
- Telephone Numbers - 57%
- Words - 53%
- What Was Said - 49%
- Faces - 42%
- And If You Can’t Remember Whether You’ve Just Done Something, You Join 38% Of The Population! (What I Can’t Figure Out, Is How The Research Was Done? How Many People Can Remember What They’ve Forgotten?!)
2. There Are Some Things That:
- We Simply Should / Must Not Forget: Anniversary, Birthday, Etc.
- We Simply Cannot Forget: Own Birthday, Name
3. What God Has Done For Us Should Belong In The Category: “What We Cannot Forget”
- Psalm 103:2-5 - What We Must Never Forget & Why!
- “Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s.”
- But We Often DO Forget!
4. This Is How We Find The Children Of God In Judah In Isaiah 1- They Had Forgotten Their Lord And All His Benefits!
- We Are Going To See What They Had Forgotten, And Remind Ourselves Of What We May Have Forgotten As Well!
- What Have We Forgotten?
I. Have We Forgotten Our Father?
- The People In Judah Did - v. 2-3
- His Relationship To Them (v. 2)
- They Were His “Children” - By Choice & Adoption! He Was To Be And Desired To Be Their “Father”
- His Work With Them - He Helped Them Grow!
- “Nourished” - Physical Growth - Made Strong! “Nourished” - Political Growth - Made Great! (Solomon) “Brought Up” - Spiritual Growth - Real Development! He Was A Faithful Father!
- How? They Rejected Him
- “Rebelled” - He Was Faithful / They Were Unfaithful! To The Point That They Did Not Even Know Him! (v. 3) Animals Were Smarter Than His Children! Dumb Animals Were Smarter Than His Children! They Recognized A Stern Master / They Did Not Recognize A Loving Father!
- God Is Still Faithful To His Unfaithful People - Calls Them “My People” - His Children Forgot Him, And It Was Done For The Entire World To See! This Is Why He Calls On The Heavens & Earth To Be Witnesses Against Them!
- Have We Forgotten Our Father?
- His Relationship With Us - Love! His Work In Us - Faithfulness! Do We Rebel Against Him And His Desire For Us?
II. Have We Forgotten Our Nature?
- The People Of Judah Did - v. 4-8
- We Are Completely Tainted: (v. 4)
- IE: The Beauty Of A Fresh Snow - Soon Becomes Contaminated With The Salt, Sand, Pollution Of The Road - Becomes A Brown, Smelly, Slushy Mess!
- In Our Actions - “Sinful Nation” - Missing The Mark - Exodus 19:6 - The Mark - “And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation.”
- In Our Character - “Laden With Iniquity” - Heavy Load
- In Our Heritage - “Seed Of Evildoers” - Their Offspring
- In Our Influence - “Children That Are Corrupters”
- “Totally Depraved” - Totally Tainted By Sin!