Summary: Story of the Shunamite woman and Elisha. The room she made for the MAN OF GOD (that’s Jesus, not me) was a room for dreams, miracles, supply.
For the Shunammite woman, it started with a single meal to the prophet. Then it became frequent meals, every time Elisha came by.
Nothing wrong with giving meals to Jesus, especially if the relationship is growing. There is something captivating about Jesus. Many of us are feeding him from time to time – but HAVE WE GIVEN HIM A PLACE TO STAY?
HAVE YOU MADE A ROOM FOR JESUS?
- She didn’t run an INN (a room for me - commerce) If this is the kind of room we have, we often sell out too soon
- It wasn’t a GUEST ROOM (a room for anyone) If this is the kind of room we build, often there is no room for him when he comes
- It was a DEDICATED room (we must have some “without question” places)
o we all have dedicated rooms (career, hobbies) but this one is for the Man of God.
- Not just a room for God – but for the MAN OF GOD(Jesus is the MAN OF GOD)
o God seems ambiguous, but we can identify Jesus
o God is often convenient, but Jesus demands a change
o God seems distant, but Jesus is where I live
This room is a dedicated place.
WHERE IS YOUR ROOM FOR JESUS?
She built it on the roof... It wasn’t added on to the back of the house. It wasn’t in a corner of the basement.
- It was a VISIBLE room (changed the shape of her house)
- It was an INCONVENIENT room (took up part of the veranda)
- It was an IMPORTANT room (at the top the house)
WHAT IS IN YOUR ROOM FOR JESUS?
- BED (you invite him to spend time) – also called a couch, must understand eastern culture
- TABLE and CHAIR(you invite fellowship and work)
- LIGHT(you invite his inspection)
WHY SHOULD YOU BUILD A ROOM FOR JESUS?
A room for Jesus is a room for DREAMS – in the doorway of that room, hope was reborn (v 15-17)
Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalms 37:4 (NIV)
He often messes up our plans, but our dreams are important to him!
A room for Jesus is a room for MIRACLES – in the bed of that room (representing time with Jesus) her son was raised (v 21,35)
The woman knew of a place where he was often found - a place to take her problem… So she said "Everything is fine...".
A room for Jesus is a room for ABUNDANT SUPPLY(ch 8:1-6)
I never knew this story was even in the Bible until just the other day, when I was studying for this message... This woman was instructed by the Man of God to leave her home and go to another country, because a famine was coming. Apparently the king possessed her lands in her absence. This is a miracle in itself - because if anyone in the land could take care of her property during a time of famine - it was the king!
When the famine was over - she came back and went to see the king. JUST AS SHE WAS WALKING UP Elisha’s servant was telling the king her story!!! Coincidence? Absolutely not! It was another miracle. The king was so impressed with her story, he gave her property back to her!
So many of us are afraid we won’t be as successful if we make a room for Jesus. She was more well-to-do after the famine than before!
HAVE YOU MADE A ROOM FOR JESUS?