Summary: Message 3 in 4 part series
He Comforts Me
April 9th, 2006 Psalm 23:3b-4
These are my actual notes and sermon handouts and they probably mean more to me than they do to you. If you don’t understand something in my notes – feel free to e-mail me for clarification (email@example.com). Here’s some deciphering hints: I use hyphens (-) to separate key elements in a thought progression. I use quotation marks when I’m illustrating what some one in the congregation might be thinking or asking at that particular point in the message or to illustrate different character voices in an illustration. Bullets are springboards for thought progressions associated with main points in a thought.
Been looking at the 23rd Psalm – Need a shepherd – for times of restoration
PS 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 3 he restores my soul.
Restores – but is He with us in those times need to be restored from?
INTRO: there will be times in our lives when our worlds unravel…
• Relationships, death, Dreams, vision, desires, trials and storms
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. PS 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Katelyn’s death - didn’t know what to say – said some things about The Shepherd and the paths he makes us walk at times – some things I’ve learned – 5 things to say to someone in a dark valley – 5 things to remember if you’re going through valley
1. You are not _Alone_.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
PATH = a way – a course of action – a life direction – a pattern of behavior – a series of circumstances
Many paths in life you can choose…
• Obviously Wrong – if you get started out on that path get to a place say – “What am I doing here?” – “I didn’t want my life to be about this!”
• Appears to be right but is wrong - PR 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. – 16:25
• Right for a while – but now I need to go in this direction… - God might change your life and send you in a different direction.
If you have a heart to be on right path – ears ought to perk up when read – “He guides me in paths of righteousness”
• God is interested that we are on the right path!
• Paths that lead to joy, peace, satisfaction, firmness…
PS 37:23 If the LORD delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; 24 though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.
PS 16:11 You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
• Aren’t you glad He leads you in those paths? – may not be her path or my path – but it’s the right path! – He guides me!
“How do I get onto the right path?”
1. God’s will is found in God’s Word
PS 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
• If you’re in a dark place – TURN THE LIGHT ON!
2. Seeking out Godly Counsel
PR 13:10 Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.