Summary: As believers, we are God's Masterpiece and as His Masterpiece, God desires that we know His desires for our life as well as the responsibility that goes with it.
Have you ever wondered,
- how do I know the will of God for my life?
- Who do I marry? Direction of career?
- Buy that house? Date that person?
- ETC! How about you? Been There?
NEXT 4 Weeks: “DISCOVERING & EXPERIENCING GOD’S WILL”
Ephesians 2:10 (NIV)
10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
I. WE ARE GOD’S MASTERPIECE
The first part of the verse says “we are God’s Workmanship”.
The meaning for the word used gives us our English word “Masterpiece” –
Relationship between ARTIST – “envisioned” MASTERPIECE:
1. The Artist - He first envisions a finished product.
Jeremiah 1:5 (GW)
5 “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart for my holy purpose…”
2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
APPL: He had a picture in mind for everyone – a Perfect Masterpiece with a “holy purpose”. You are unlike anything else in the world!
An Artist Needs Certain Tools and Surroundings:
- the right canvas, right paint, types of brushes.
CONSIDER GOD’S TOOLS! What does He use to fashion us into the Masterpiece He has envisioned?
2. The “Masterpiece” also has a Responsibility
We are a PROCESS in the WORKING.
Colossians 3:10 “…put on the NEW SELF, which is BEING RENEWED in KNOWLEDGE and in the IMAGE of its Creator”
As believers of Christ, we no longer belong to ourselves – He wants to begin His work to make us into the Masterpiece He Envisioned.
a. “BEING RENEWED”
- God is Re-Working us!
- PROCESS requires AVAILABILITY on our part!
- If we are NOT available, God CAN’T WORK.
b. “Being Renewed” in “KNOWLEDGE and IMAGE of GOD”
- just like a member of the Family of God.
- reshaped to be like His Son.
The Result: A complete - MASTERPIECE!
Now consider these questions:
- Am I helping God make me to be the Masterpiece He desires?
- Am I hurting God in making me to be the Masterpiece He intended?
And how does this apply to the CHURCH?
II. CREATED FOR WORKS
Ephesians 2:10 (NIV)
10 For we are God's workmanship, “created in Christ Jesus to do good works”, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
- Our tendency is to make “Good Works” a requirement of each other.
- BUT the Good Works are not anything that WE do
- BUT EVERYTHING THAT GOES DOES!
APPL: When an artist creates the masterpiece, it’s not the masterpiece that does the work! The MASTERPIECE RECEIVES THE WORK!
1. God Has PROVIDED The Tools – But they are His tools.
I offer to you that what gets us in so much trouble is THE WRONG PERSON IS DOING THE WORK!
- Hebrews 13:21 (NIV)
(the great Shepherd of the Sheep) 21 equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever.”