Summary: As God sees and knows each sparrow, so He watches us.
“He Watches Me”
Daviod P. Nolte
Sometimes we have birds in our yard that are not as common as the little black starlings. The other day I saw a red headed woodpecker on our tree; sometimes we see a yellow canary or some variety of finch. Numerous hummingbirds vie for the feeder. An occasional blue jay will show up. Not to overlook the osprey, hawk, heron, buzzard, turkey, dove, pigeon, pheasant and an occasional eagle, There are the common sparrows, too.
This is not about birds – it is about bird watching. Did you know that God is a bird watcher? Well, He is. As the Scripture says, “What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.” Matthew 10:29-31 (NLT2).
We might watch for birds to shoo them away from our gardens; we might watch birds out of interest and curiosity. Some people watch for birds like doves, quail, chukker, pheasant , goose and duck intent upon cooking and eating them..
God watches the sparrow and He watches you and me. As the song well put it,’
“Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.”
Why would God give a rip about sparrows, or us? Why does He watch us?
I. HE WATCHES US BECAUSE HE WANTS TO ENJOY US:
A. We are valuable to Him. He is so interested in us that the hairs of our heads are numbered. The question is not “Does God find joy in His children?” He does. The question is , “How do we know He enjoys or rejoices over us?” and a second question is “What is it about us that brings Him joy?”
B. As to how we know that we bring Him joy, God’s word tells us that we do.
1. “The LORD your God is in your midst, A victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.” Zephaniah 3:17 (NASB).
2. “For as a young man marries a virgin, So your sons will marry you; And as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, So your God will rejoice over you.” Isaiah 62:5 (NASB).
3. God clearly enjoys His people.
C. As to the second question, “What is it about us that He enjoys?” Maybe you think that there are some sort of strict requirements that you have to meet in order to please God. These things please Him:
1. Faith. “And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.” Hebrews 11:6 (NASB).
2. Humility. “But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, ‘God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.’” James 4:6 (NASB).
3. Generosity. “Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NASB).
4. Endurance. “For this finds favor, if for the sake of conscience toward God a person bears up under sorrows when suffering unjustly. For what credit is there if, when you sin and are harshly treated, you endure it with patience? But if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God.” 1 Peter 2:19-20 (NASB).
5. Obedience. Samuel said to King Saul, “ Samuel said, “Has the LORD as much delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams.” 1 Samuel 15:22 (NASB).
6. Harmony. “Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brothers to dwell together in unity!” Psalm 133:1 (NASB).
D. Do you suppose that God doesn’t chuckle at the antics of monkeys and the gamboling of young animals? So, God watches us because He enjoys us. He enjoys us for faith, humility, generosity, endurance, obedience and harmony.
E. I love it when I get pictures and videos of Kaden and Everleigh, our great-grandchildren. It is fascinating watching them grow and experiment and learn. It is a joy watching them come into themselves with their unique personalities, gifts, abilities and achievement. SECOND TO BEING WITH THEM IS BEING ABLE TO LOOK AT THEM.