Summary: How do you hear the word of God? On the wayside, like a rock, in the thorns or on good ground?
Hearing the Word of God
By Reverend David Doherty
First Baptist Church of Pie Town
When we hear or read the word of God
How do we receive that information?
Do we even know what the word of God is?
Why do we have to obey the word when it seems like no one else is?
Don’t take my word for it. You have a bible, read it for yourself.
Open your bibles to Luke, Chapter 8, verses 5-15
5. The sower went out to sow his seed; and as he sowed, some fell along the way, and it was trodden under foot, and the birds of the heaven devoured it up;
6. and other fell upon the rock, and having sprung up, it was dried up because it had not moisture;
7. and other fell in the midst of the thorns, and the thorns having sprung up with it choked it;
8. and other fell into the good ground, and having sprung up bore fruit a hundredfold. As he said these things he cried, He that has ears to hear, let him hear.
9. And his disciples asked him saying, What may this parable be?
10. And he said, To you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest in parables, in order that seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.
11. But the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
a. Faith comes through the hearing of the word of God.
b. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
*He* was in the beginning with God.
All things received being through him, and without him not one thing received being which has received being.
In him was life, and the life was the light of men. John 1:1-4
c. Faith comes through the hearing and understanding of Jesus Christ. (Who is God in the flesh. Jesus is the word of God)
Hearing on the wayside
12. But those by the wayside are those who hear; then comes the devil and takes away the word from their heart that they may not believe and be saved.
a. The plants on the outside of a field struggle to survive
b. They can see the end of the pivot but can’t quite get enough water to survive. Satan is at the end of the pivot taking the plants water.
Hearing like a rock
13. But those upon the rock, those who when they hear receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a time, and in time of trial fall away.
a. These are the people who hear the word with excitement and when hard times come they’ll buckle under pressure and forget everything they heard.
b. This happens when we actually think we’re in control of something. When in reality we have no idea what’s going on.
Hearing in the thorns
14. But that that fell where the thorns were, these are they who having heard go away and are choked under cares and riches and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
a. American Idol
b. Too many things in American culture are too convenient and easy. If I bought a new house right now, my first priority would be paying for that house instead of relying on my trust in God, which I learn through the bible.
Hearing on good ground
15But that in the good ground, these are they who in an honest and good heart, having heard the word keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.
a. Patience – always staying on a straight line
d. Why do we need patience?
e. So that we may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world-rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Wherefore take up the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and, having done all, to stand.
Today is the first day of the rest of our lives.
Will you receive the word of God by the wayside?
Will you receive the word of God like a rock?
Will you receive the word of God in the thorns?
Will you receive the word of God (who is Jesus Christ) on good ground that produces wonderful fruit?