Summary: For God - Its what’s on the inside that matters the most.
How is your heart today? Both physically and spiritually, this is the most important question you will ever answer. Very few things compare to the condition of your heart.
1. The best education in the world.
2. All the wealth you’re able to attain.
3. Prestige, position and power.
All are of little importance in relation to the condition of your heart.
You may be sitting there agree with me as far as the physical heart is concerned. Heart trouble is a major killer in America. It doesn’t discriminate based on age, sex or race.
Mississippi has more deaths due to cardiovascular disease than any other state. We also rank 40th in death by coronary heart disease and 44 in deaths by stroke. That is not good.
Our state lawmakers saw this and started passing legislation to take care of the problem. They wanted to fix the heart trouble we have in Mississippi.
As important as our physical heart is for our very existence, I believe that the Spiritual Heart is just as important. You might not be ready to admit it today, but there is a time coming that you will believe.
I. HOW IS YOUR HEART?
• Is it healthy or diseased?
• Is it right or wrong?
A. The condition of your spiritual heart affects your whole life.
1. Just as the physical heart is the center of your physical life, the spiritual heart is just as important to your spiritual life.
a) Listen to these spiritual truths from the source of ALL spiritual truths:
(1) “Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.” (Proverbs 4:23)
(2) “For as [a man] thinks in his heart, so is he.” (Proverbs 23:7)
(3) “For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.” (Matthew 12:34)
(4) “For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.” (Matthew 15:19)
b) Scripture is pretty clear: What we are at heart is what we are:
(1) Men are liars because we are liars at heart.
(2) Men are murderers because we are murders at heart.
(3) Men are thieves because we are thieves at heart.
(4) Men are evil because we are evil at heart.
2. The breeding ground for sin in our lives is the heart.
a) So if you would like to clean up your life you must clean up your heart.
B. How do we clean our heart?
1. We Go To A Doctor.
a) Now if I were having problems with my physical heart I would want to see a specialist.
b) There is a specialist that takes care of the spiritual heart that we can see – without an appointment.
(1) He was sent from the courts of Heaven to cure the hearts of men.
(a) He was sent by God himself.
(b) He is God.
c) Jesus can take your spiritually diseased heart and clean it.
(1) In fact He is the only one who can really do anything about it because He made it.
2. How does He do it?
a) We don’t know how a medical doctor cures us.
(1) We just take the medicine.
(2) We then trust and believe.
b) It is the same way with Jesus.
(1) We may not always understand.
(2) Just take the prescription – i.e. the Blood of the Lamb, and apply as directed.
(3) But we should always trust and believe.