Summary: A sermon about Heaven, meant to offer comfort and hope. One of the last discourses that Jesus made before his crucifixion was on Heaven to comfort His disciples.
HEAVEN FUNERAL SERMON
We use the word “Heaven” in our conversation but few have given much thought to what Heaven is. Let me share with you some words of comfort about Heaven.
I. HEAVEN IS A REAL PLACE
1. Twice in this passage Jesus calls it a place. He made this statement as part of His Upper Room Discourse. During His earthly ministry Jesus preached many sermons and gave discourses to the multitudes on several occasions but in the Upper Room Discourse He took His disciples aside by themselves and taught them. His purpose was to prepare them for the fact that He would be leaving them.
2. In only a short time He was to be crucified. It would be the darkest hour that any of them would go through. It was then that Jesus uttered these words of comfort and hope about heaven.
3. He told them that He was going to prepare a place for them. It was in the Fathers house.
4. Heaven is not an unreal, indifferent place. It is a place as literal and concrete as the house you live in today.
5. “Many mansions” literally means “dwelling places”.
II. HEAVEN IS A PERMANENT PLACE
1 Peter 1:3-4 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
III. HEAVEN IS A PERSONAL PLACE
1. People are there.
a.. Elijah was taken up in a chariot.
b. Paul was taken up to Heaven – He called it Paradise
2. Jesus is there. He was taken up at the ascension.
IV. HEAVEN IS A HOLY PLACE
Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Heaven will be holy because of what is not there.
No sin No sickness No sorrow No pain No more death
V. HEAVEN IS A REWARD
1. It is a reward for those who say “YES” to Jesus.
2. It is a place of preparation. No one is there by accident.
John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
VI. HEAVEN IS A PLACE OF REUNION
King David said at the death of his infant son, “You cannot come to me but I can go to you.”
Who is there?
1. Jesus is there.
2. Our Heavenly Father is there.
3. Those who have died in the Lord before us.
4. Those who will die in the Lord after us.
5. You will be there – if you made your reservation.
Oh! Think to step ashore,
And find it Heaven;
To clasp a hand outstretched,
And find it God’s hand!
To breath new air,
And that celestial air,
To feel refreshed,
And find it immortality;
Ah, think to step from storm and stress,
To one unbroken calm:
To awake and find it Home.
Robert E. Selle