Summary: Sometimes it looks like hell is in charge. Four Reasons Hell ISN'T in charge. Four things to do to take back charge if your life has spiraled out of control.
HELL IS NOT IN CHARGE OF YOUR DESTINY
1. Inside a supercenter, a woman saw a grandfather and his poorly behaved 3 year old grandson. "Easy, William," said the grandfather calmly. "We won't be long."
2. In the cookie aisle, the woman heard a shrill, "I want cookies! Gimme cookies!"
3. "It's OK, William, just a couple more minutes, and we’ll be out of here. Just hang on; you're doing great," said the grandfather.
4. At the checkout, the child screamed, "Candy! I want Candy!"
5. "William, William, relax. Don't get upset. We'll be home in five minutes."
6. The woman was impressed. "You're amazing," she told the grandfather. "You kept your composure no matter how loud he got. William is very lucky to have you for a grandfather."
7. "Thanks," replied the grandfather. "But I am William. The little twerp is Kevin." [RD, July 2013, p. 17; Miguel Campiglia].
1. How often do we, like this grandfather, find ourselves in trying situations that test our Christianity to the limits.
2. We’re going to look at how Hell attempts to overthrow God’s people, why it’s not in charge of our destiny, and how you can take charge back, if yours is out of whack.
3. The title of this message is “Hell is NOT in Charge of your Destiny.”
I. SOMETIMES IT LOOKS LIKE HELL IS
A. TRUE STORY OF BAD EVENTS(internet story)
1. I've had a terrible last few weeks. My car broke down, and it'll cost $1,800 to fix it. I'm enrolled in grad school without a scholarship; so I’m overwhelmed.
2. I tried to ride a bike to school, but the chain got stuck and it began to pour down rain and soaked me.
3. My dad doesn't work--just plays solitaire--and so my family is in constant need of money.
4. The fast-food place where I work decided not to schedule me this week. I did $250 worth of work for a lady and she never paid me, just disappeared.
5. I had to mail a package today and the only FedEx store in town shut down due to massive storms. This is driving me crazy!
6. HUMOR. Johnny’s father: “Let me see your report card.” “I don’t have it.” Johnny’s father: Why not?
Johnny: “My friend just borrowed it. He wants to scare his parents.” (Tyler H., Blacklick, Ohio).
B. MORE SERIOUS PROBLEMS
1. You've lost your job. Bills pile up; there are painful decisions.
2. You lose your spouse or child.
3. You have a husband that goes out to bars, drinking.
4. You have cancer, gone through a divorce, are lonely or depressed.
5. Your child has gotten pregnant or committed a crime.
6. You feel like God has quit helping you and that the devil has taken over and is trying to wipe you out!
7. HELL IS NOT IN CHARGE OF YOUR DESTINY!
C. AN ATTEMPT BY HELL TO TAKE CHARGE
1. 20 Mordecai…sent letters to all the Jews…21 to…celebrate …22 the time when the Jews got relief from their enemies, and as the month when their sorrow was turned into joy and their mourning into a day of celebration. 24 For Haman…the Agagite, the enemy of all the Jews, had plotted against the Jews to destroy them and had cast the pur (that is, the lot) for their ruin and destruction. 25 But when the plot came to the king’s attention, he issued written orders that the evil scheme Haman had devised against the Jews should come back onto his own head, and that he and his sons should be hanged on the gallows. Esther 9:20-25.
2. You all know the story, how this evil guy Haman decided to he would wipe out the Jewish race. He got together with his family and friends to cast a “lot.”
3. It was like a séance; he was asking evil spiritual forces to help him pick the right time to annihilate them. Instead, God made him choose the last month of the year.
4. Meanwhile, God installed a Jewish Queen of great beauty on the throne – Esther. She exposed Haman’s plot to the King, who let the Jewish people annihilate their enemies first. Haman and his evil sons were hanged on the gallows he’d built for Mordecai!
5. The point is, Hell thought it could overthrow the destiny of the people of God; but God reversed it and used it to promote God’s people.
6. You see, HELL THOUGHT IT WAS IN CHARGE OF OUR DESTINY! BUT IT’S NOT: GOD IS!!!!!
II. HELL IS NOT IN CHARGE OF YOUR DESTINY BECAUSE…
A. YOU’RE GOD’S PROPERTY, NOT SATAN’S.
1. “You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body and in your spirit, which are God's.” 1 Cor. 6:19-20.