Summary: How Can A Loving God Actually Justify Hell?
People can be offended by the preaching on hell
- ("I can’t believe you think this! You’re just trying to scare people.
- That’s not very loving...").
- They claim that speaking about hell is unloving
- Like signs warning boaters of what is going to happen if they continue down the river.
- The signs are big, bright, orange and red
- “Pullout canoes here. Danger waterfall ahead!!”
- Signs ruin the pristine beauty of the river
- They’re just trying to spoil our fun.
- They’re just trying to scare people!”
- Park ranger signs were out of concern for unaware boaters
- Most unloving thing would be to take the signs down
- With no warning, boaters would drop to their death
People Who Don’t Believe In Hell
Surveys among church-going who don’t believe in a literal hell.
68% of Americans
60% of Episcopalians
58% of Methodists
54% of Presbyterians
35% of Baptists
71% of Ministry Students
17% in 1955 thought they were going to Hell
6% Today think they are going to Hell
- Hinduism/Hinduism, JW, Christian Science, Mormons, 7th Day Adventists don’t believe in hell
Purgatory is a place that a Christian’s soul goes to after death to be cleansed of the sins that had not been fully satisfied during life. No where is this found in scripture
Primary Scriptural passage
1 Corinthians 3:15 (AV)
15 If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
- Not the person but the works that pass through the fire.
1 Corinthians 3:12–15 (AV)
The root of the word limbo is “the edge of a hem on a garment,”
- Limbo is someplace which borders very close to another.
- Limbo is “a zone which exists between two definite places.”
- No where in the Bible
- R.C. names a limbo for children who die before their baptisms or die outside of R.C. church.
- Scripture used Lk. 16:19-31 - Rich man and Lazarus
WHY? - Eternal Damnation So Repulsive
- Hell’s description is awful
- Deny it Ignore it and it will go away
- Like hiding under the blankets
- Many people would rather ignore the source of fear than face it - Remember Hell was created for the Satan & Demons
Matthew 25:41 (AV)
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
A Flawed View Of God’s Love.
- A loving God will not have Hell
- God’s love does not negate His justice, righteousness, holiness
- God’s love has provided the way to escape
Hebrews 2:3 (AV)
3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
- Hell is unfair
-Our own sin isn’t all that bad.
- A mere lifetime of sinning for an eternal punishment???
Ezekiel 18:4 (AV)
4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
- Remember God hated sin to death.
Wrong View of Eternity
- Everyone will eventually make it to heaven.
- Annihilation believes life ceases after death