Summary: How Can A Loving God Actually Justify Hell?
People can be offended by the preaching on hell
- ("I can’t believe you think this! You’re just trying to scare people.
- That’s not very loving...").
- They claim that speaking about hell is unloving
- Like signs warning boaters of what is going to happen if they continue down the river.
- The signs are big, bright, orange and red
- “Pullout canoes here. Danger waterfall ahead!!”
- Signs ruin the pristine beauty of the river
- They’re just trying to spoil our fun.
- They’re just trying to scare people!”
- Park ranger signs were out of concern for unaware boaters
- Most unloving thing would be to take the signs down
- With no warning, boaters would drop to their death
People Who Don’t Believe In Hell
Surveys among church-going who don’t believe in a literal hell.
68% of Americans
60% of Episcopalians
58% of Methodists
54% of Presbyterians
35% of Baptists
71% of Ministry Students
17% in 1955 thought they were going to Hell
6% Today think they are going to Hell
- Hinduism/Hinduism, JW, Christian Science, Mormons, 7th Day Adventists don’t believe in hell
Purgatory is a place that a Christian’s soul goes to after death to be cleansed of the sins that had not been fully satisfied during life. No where is this found in scripture
Primary Scriptural passage
1 Corinthians 3:15 (AV)
15 If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
- Not the person but the works that pass through the fire.
1 Corinthians 3:12–15 (AV)
The root of the word limbo is “the edge of a hem on a garment,”
- Limbo is someplace which borders very close to another.
- Limbo is “a zone which exists between two definite places.”
- No where in the Bible
- R.C. names a limbo for children who die before their baptisms or die outside of R.C. church.
- Scripture used Lk. 16:19-31 - Rich man and Lazarus
WHY? - Eternal Damnation So Repulsive
- Hell’s description is awful
- Deny it Ignore it and it will go away
- Like hiding under the blankets
- Many people would rather ignore the source of fear than face it - Remember Hell was created for the Satan & Demons
Matthew 25:41 (AV)
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
A Flawed View Of God’s Love.
- A loving God will not have Hell
- God’s love does not negate His justice, righteousness, holiness
- God’s love has provided the way to escape
Hebrews 2:3 (AV)
3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
- Hell is unfair
-Our own sin isn’t all that bad.
- A mere lifetime of sinning for an eternal punishment???
Ezekiel 18:4 (AV)
4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
- Remember God hated sin to death.
Wrong View of Eternity
- Everyone will eventually make it to heaven.
- Annihilation believes life ceases after death
Hebrews 9:27 (AV)
27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
- Hell too delicate a subject to preach on.
- Satan’s first lie was a denial of judgment.
Genesis 3:4 (AV)
4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
2 Corinthians 4:4 (AV)
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
How Can A Loving God Actually Justify Hell?
• God’s Character Demands It
- Crime must be punished
- Eternal punishment is fitting for sins committed against an eternal God.
• God’s Justice Demands An Eternal Hell.
- Not all evil is punished in this life
- Therefore, a punishment in the next life
- Ps 94:1-11
• God’s Sovereignty Demands An Eternal Hell.
- Without hell, there would be no final victory over evil.
• Human Dignity Demands An Eternal Hell.
- A person can willingly choose to follow or reject God,
- God respects the person’s choice.
• The Cross Of Christ Implies An Eternal Hell.
- Why would Christ suffer at the crossd if there is not an unthinkable punishment awaiting those who sin against God?
The Difference Between “Want” And “Will.”