Summary: Peter - encourages us in our walk with the Lord.
1. When I think of our beloved pastor Peter, he’s so encouraging to me in my walk with the Lord.
a. He encourages me both in his letters & especially by his life.
FIRST OFF: I notice that I’m so much like him.
• I talk instead of listening. I sleep when I should be praying.
• I step out when I should stand still.
• AND I stand still when I should step out!
• Peter made huge mistakes, yet loved Jesus so much! That’s me!
• And, well that’s Pastor Peter, the author of this letter.
SECONDLY: Peter reminds me not of my failures, but of God’s faithfulness and GRACE through the good times & the bad.
• Flip back to Luke 22:31-34
• You know, Through it all, Jesus is praying for me too!
• And for you, and your homes, and your lives…
• So that our faith would not fail!
Peter made it, steadied on, because Jesus prayed for him!
• And it’s the same for us.
• We’re people that want to do what is right, holy, & good.
• But we mess up much more than we want!
• We understand that our spirit is willing but flesh is weak!
• But even now, right here, Jesus knows the things we’re facing in life, the situations swirling around us…
Hebrews 7:25 Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.
I. (1:1-4) Precious Promises
1. (1) Peter the servant.
a. Peter says, I’m a bondservant, a ‘doulos’. Jesus is my master
b. I voluntarily give up my rights & privileges to devote my entire life to serve someone else.
c. And here he is, in the last days of his life steadying on.
d. And I’m an apostle, one sent out! I go where He tells me.
NOTE: It is so encouraging to know God has called us & has a specific will, a powerful plan, precious purposes for our us! (1:10)
• It so inspired Peter and really, every other believer after him!
• I am what I am, and I do what I do by the will of God!
We’re reminded too that in the church, there are only servants.
• We don’t have super Christians and non-super Christians.
• We don’t the celebrities and the commoners.
• We’re just servants. That’s all. Servants of the Lord!
Mark 10.45 "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
2. (2-3) Knowing Jesus.
a. Peter says the way to peace is knowing Jesus!
b. If you spent your entire life getting to know Jesus better through His Word, through prayer, through service…
c. He’s given us ALL THINGS (mark that) pertaining to life & godliness! ALL THINGS covers it all!
d. The Christian life is the complete package guys!
SO we don’t need Jesus AND the psychologists.
• We don’t need Jesus AND drugs… or Jesus AND alcohol.
• When you have Jesus, you don’t need anything else!
NOTE: The world’s methods & the world’s advancements have definitely infiltrated & confused the church today.
• Oh, they say, the Word of God isn’t enough… you need this.
• Well, you know, we have this new technique, this new finding.
LOOK, it’s in Jesus that a life is change, BORN AGAIN!
2 Cor. 5.17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
• In Jesus we have principles that will change your life!
• That knowledge that is in Jesus will transform you!
• There is power, great power in the gospel!
• Everything we need to live a life of godliness is provided for us by God. We can’t live that life in our own strength.
Zech 4:6 So he answered and said to me: "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: ’Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ Says the LORD of hosts.
3. (3-4) Called Out & Given Promises.
a. The Bible is filled with God’s wonderful promises… OR AS
b. Peter says, EXCEEDINGLY GREAT & PRECIOUS promises.
At every turn, there are great promises from the Lord for our lives that we can cling to, hold on to, and embrace!
HELP: Psalm 50:15 Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me."
COMFORT: Psalm 27:10 When my father and my mother forsake me, Then the LORD will take care of me.
ENCOURAGEMENT: Psalm 138:8 The LORD will perfect that which concerns me; Your mercy, O LORD, endures forever; Do not forsake the works of Your hands.