Summary: Peter - encourages us in our walk with the Lord.
1. When I think of our beloved pastor Peter, he’s so encouraging to me in my walk with the Lord.
a. He encourages me both in his letters & especially by his life.
FIRST OFF: I notice that I’m so much like him.
• I talk instead of listening. I sleep when I should be praying.
• I step out when I should stand still.
• AND I stand still when I should step out!
• Peter made huge mistakes, yet loved Jesus so much! That’s me!
• And, well that’s Pastor Peter, the author of this letter.
SECONDLY: Peter reminds me not of my failures, but of God’s faithfulness and GRACE through the good times & the bad.
• You know, Through it all, Jesus is praying for me too!
• And for you, and your homes, and your lives…
• So that our faith would not fail!
Peter made it, steadied on, because Jesus prayed for him!
• And it’s the same for us.
• We’re people that want to do what is right, holy, & good.
• But we mess up much more than we want!
• We understand that our spirit is willing but flesh is weak!
• But even now, right here, Jesus knows the things we’re facing in life, the situations swirling around us…
I. (1:1-4) Precious Promises
1. (1) Peter the servant.
a. Peter says, I’m a bondservant, a ‘doulos’. Jesus is my master
b. I voluntarily give up my rights & privileges to devote my entire life to serve someone else.
c. And here he is, in the last days of his life steadying on.
d. And I’m an apostle, one sent out! I go where He tells me.
NOTE: It is so encouraging to know God has called us & has a specific will, a powerful plan, precious purposes for our us! (1:10)
• It so inspired Peter and really, every other believer after him!
• I am what I am, and I do what I do by the will of God!
We’re reminded too that in the church, there are only servants.
• We don’t have super Christians and non-super Christians.
• We don’t the celebrities and the commoners.
• We’re just servants. That’s all. Servants of the Lord!
2. (2-3) Knowing Jesus.
a. Peter says the way to peace is knowing Jesus!
b. If you spent your entire life getting to know Jesus better through His Word, through prayer, through service…
c. He’s given us ALL THINGS (mark that) pertaining to life & godliness! ALL THINGS covers it all!
d. The Christian life is the complete package guys!
SO we don’t need Jesus AND the psychologists.
• We don’t need Jesus AND drugs… or Jesus AND alcohol.
• When you have Jesus, you don’t need anything else!
NOTE: The world’s methods & the world’s advancements have definitely infiltrated & confused the church today.
• Oh, they say, the Word of God isn’t enough… you need this.
• Well, you know, we have this new technique, this new finding.
LOOK, it’s in Jesus that a life is change, BORN AGAIN!
2 Cor. 5.17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.