Summary: We are called to help those in need. Our model is Jesus himself.
A. ) He was passionate about people - people were not just a means to an end (paycheck). They were why he came.
Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised
B. ) He saw what others didn’t see – Sometimes we don’t see what we see.
- He saw Peter’s Mother in Law - Mat 8:14
- He saw people mourning (death) – Matt 9:23-25
- He saw a great multitude of sick - Matt 14:14
C. He touched where others wouldn’t touch - Our need for human contact is necessary. Babies who are not touched fail to grow normally. Children, who are not lovingly touched often, grow up to be more physically violent. http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/womens_health/83603
- He reached out to touch a Leper = Matt 8:3
- He touched the fearful disciples – Matt 17:7
- He touched the Blind - Matt 20:34
- He touched and healed a soldiers ear – Luke 22:51
D. ) He loved & had compassion for the sinful – He didn’t see sin as a permanent condition!
- Woman at the Well –John 4
- He was moved with compassion over the lost – Matt 9:36
- He grieved over Jerusalem – Matt 23:37
- He felt for the hungry crowd – Matt 14:14
- He cried at Lazarus’ death – John 11:35
WHAT ABOUT US?
John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
1. Let’s Practice what we preach – Let’s BE Authentic
2. Let’s have our living by giving – Let’s BE Concerned
3. Let’s look past the sin and see a sinner in need – Let’s BE Resourceful
No one cares how much you know until the know how much you care.