Summary: You cannot go anywhere He has not already been
HE’S ALREADY BEEN THERE
Intro: I have read and heard these verses read time and time again. However, it was not until I studied for this message did I really put them in their context. In verse 16 The writer says “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” As I began to study this I asked myself this question; “What gives me the right to go boldly before His throne of grace and ask for help in my time of need?” Is it because Jesus Christ was born in a stable in Bethlehem? Is it because He performed many miracles? Is it because He was crucified and rose as our great High Priest? And while those answers are good ones they are not 100 percent accurate. The answer to this question is in verse 15 “For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities: but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.” My friend the reason we have the right to approach His throne of grace and ask for help is because he has already been there. He knows what it is like to be tempted and have trouble and sorrow. (Isaiah 53:3) says, “HE’S BEEN THERE.”
I. WHEN YOU ARE BEING PUT THROUGH THE FIRE, HE’S BEEN THERE
A. If you are going to live for the Lord you will be put through the fire
B. If you refuse to bow down to what this world has to offer you will go through the fire
C. (Daniel 3) Gives the account of some folks who refused to bow down to Nebuchadnezzar
D. Even after they were given a second chance they refused so in the fire they went. Persecuted for living right
E. But as they walked around the old King saw something he just couldn’t believe
1. (Daniel 3:25) He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.
F. When you are going through the fire remember he’s already been there
II. WHEN IT SEEMS YOU ARE TRAPPED AND THERE IS NO WAY OUT, HE’S ALREADY BEEN THERE
A. (Daniel 6) Darius made a decree that no one would make a petition to anyone except him lest they be thrown into the den of lions
B. But Daniel continued praying to the Lord 3 times a day but was caught
C. Darius had him cast into the den of lions
D. Darius had been up all night worrying about Daniel and very early in the morning he went to the den of lions
1. (Daniel 6:20) And when he came to the den, he cried with a lamentable voice unto Daniel: and the king spake and said to Daniel, O Daniel, servant of the living God, is thy God, whom thou servest continually, able to deliver thee from the lions?
2. (Daniel 6:21) Then said Daniel unto the king, O king, live for ever
3. (Daniel 6:22) My God hath sent his angel, and hath shut the lions’ mouths, that they have not hurt me: forasmuch as before him innocency was found in me; and also before thee, O king, have I done no hurt..
E. When you are trapped with no way out remember he’s already been there
III. WHEN YOU ARE ABOUT TO GO UNDER, HE’S ALREADY BEEN THERE
A. The Psalmist cried in (Psalm 69:2) I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me
B. (Psalm 69:3) I am weary of my crying: my throat is dried: mine eyes fail while I wait for my God.
C. It seems that David has prayed for an eternity for deliverance but none has come
1. DON’T GIVE UP!! Just remember what David said in (Psalm 34:6) This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.
D (Matthew 14:24-31) The disciples were on a boat in the sea being tossed by
the waves and the Lord saw them
D. The Lord goes to them and they were afraid but the Lord told them to “Be of good cheer. It is I be not afraid
E. He invites Peter to come out of the boat Peter steps on the water walking toward Jesus but became afraid because of the boisterous wind and took his eyes off Jesus. This cause him to sink and he cries out to Jesus “Lord save me.”
F. Jesus immediately stretched forth his hand and said O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?