Summary: The book of Genesis starts out recording the activities of God in Creation. Some have called the Biblical account of creation a myth. I call it truth. Anything that might substitute for it, i.e., truth, can itself be considered myth. Skeptics and sc
HE’S STILL AROUND
1. At some time during the 1960’s, I think it was, a group of skeptics attempted to popularize the idea that God was dead. Bumper stickers declared allegiance to the campaign all across America. The movement died out but God is still around.
2. The book of Genesis starts out recording the activities of God in Creation. Some have called the Biblical account of creation a myth. I call it truth. Anything that might substitute for it, i.e., truth, can itself be considered myth. Skeptics and scoffers come an go. Myths come and go. . . but God is still around.
3. Lessons from the past are helpful for the present and future.
PROP: GOD WILL ALWAYS BE HERE.
TRANS: God was here before the beginning. As we look at Genesis one, we can observe three lessons we need to learn about our never ending God.
I. A LESSON ABOUT THE INVOLVEMENT OF GOD.
A. Genesis 1:1 says with simple words that God is responsible for Creation. In the beginning He made all that is.
B. By looking at the order of creation we learn something about God’s involvement. For one thing we detect evidence of intelligence in creation. We also know that He decided to involve Himself in creation from the very beginning. All who look are without excuses (Romans 1:19-21).
C. None of us was involved in creation in the active way God was. Only God could bring something out of nothing. By His choice and by His design (intelligence and decision) He was involved in creation. Where were you when God laid the foundations of the earth? (Job 38:4).
D. In intellect and will God was involved. But He also discloses His emotion in creation. Before the “beginning” God’s heart was involved in what He was about to do:
1. John 17:24 - The Father loved the Son before . . .
2. John 17:5 - The Son had glory before . . .
3. Ephesians 1:4 - God chose us before . . .
4. II Peter 1:20 - Christ’s death was ordained before . . .
5. Titus 1:2 - God promised eternal life before . . .
It is impossible to dwell on this fully and not sense God’s emotional involvement at creation. He is still around. God is still involved!
II. A LESSON ABOUT THE PURPOSE OF MAN:
A. In Genesis 1:26-28 we note that a “divine counsel precedes the creation of man.” (Barrens). When God says “Let us” we can understand, though not conclusively based on this text, the full involvement of the trinity in creation. The Father created (1:1), the Spirit moved (1:2), and the Word (1:3) was spoke.
B. With the interest of the Trinity, Man is crowned with a special purpose and enthroned on a unique position among all of God’s handiwork. We are the King of Creation. We praise God first because He created us (Psalm 148:5).
1. Man was created in the image and likeness of God. Something in us is like God an unlike animals. We were created to portray Him in creation with intellect, emotion, and will that are distinct from all other beings. We were given regal office as bearers of the image of God.
2. Man was created to have dominion. The care and use of all of the rest of creation was given to us.