Summary: Peter’s teaching us about the truths of God’s redemption, His never-ending love for us, His faithfulness and care.
1. As we look back together at CH 1, Peter’s been teaching us about the truths of God’s redemption, His never-ending love for us, His faithfulness and care…
2. He’s also included a few things about our conduct & behavior when times get tough.
• Get your mind ready for battle… 1:13
• Obey God not this world… 1:14
• Holiness is important… 1:16
• Fear of the Lord… 1:17
• Knowing who you are in Jesus… 1:18
• Faith & hope are in God… 1:21
• Love One another Fervently… 1:22
• Cling to the Word of God which abides forever… 1:25 (THEREFORE 2:1)
I. (2:1-3) LAY ASIDE & DESIRE
1. (22) Because of all that God has done…
a. Because we’ve been born again, and we’re guarded, protected, and kept by God…
b. Because we have a new nature & a new love…
c. Because you’re going to heaven & your salvation is secure…
d. Lay aside some things…
e. ALL MALICE – refers to all sorts of bad stuff
f. ALL DECEIT – refers to craftiness, manipulation
g. ALL HYPOCRISY – 2 faced living
h. ALL ENVY – jealously, upset that you don’t have
i. ALL EVIL SPEAKING – gossip, slander, cursings, etc.
SO laying aside these things that are not consistent with our new nature, our new life in Jesus… AS NEWBORN BABES DESIRE.
NOTE: One thing we see with all the newborn, precious babies around this church is that when they get hungry, when they desire some nourishment from mom… WE KNOW ABOUT IT!
• When they get hungry, they sound like a siren, like they’re hurt!
• If you’re a first time parent, you’re wondering “what did I do?!”
• They want mom’s milk and nothing will satisfy them!
• A ride in the car around the block? NOPE. A pat on back? NOPE
• They know what they want & won’t be content until get it!
Luke 18.16 But Jesus called them to Him and said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God.
APP: A lot of Christians walk around weak & defeated because we aren’t feeding on the Word of God.
• Not taking in the pure milk, the nourishment, the vitamins.
• Your new life can’t grow unless you feed it.
• Without the Word there won’t be any growth in your Christian life, none. God’s Word is able to do a work in us!
• Turn over to 2 Timothy 3:16 – 4 Things the Word always does!
Now it says that Word of god is profitable.
DOCTRINE – Teaching us Truth about God.
REPROOF – Teachings us what’s wrong
CORRECTION – Teaching us how to fix what’s wrong.
INSTRUCTION – Teaching us How to maintain what is right.
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
NOW THE WORD ‘DESIRE’ in v2, means to have an “INTENSE YEARNING” for it.
• Desire it so that you might grow & as you grow you intensely desire more!
• That’s why you have an appetite for Jesus… v3 three says you’ve tasted that the Lord is gracious so you want more.
DON’T LET ANYONE take away that desire from you.
• Oh, you’re just a Christian because you need a crutch in life!
• Look, I haven’t met a man or woman in life that doesn’t have one… it might be a bottle, or a syringe.
• For others is a VISA or Mastercard, others it’s a relationship.
• Really it’s all in search to fill the void only Jesus can fill!
NOTE: it’s OK to lean on Jesus, to take your concerns and worries and anxieties to Him. He’s not upset with you.
1 Peter 5:7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
He doesn’t belittle you when you come to Him with things that need attention or help. He’s waiting for you to respond & come!
• He’s allowed the stuff in your life so that you might act.
• He wants to show Himself strong in your life, to be your strength.
• And He becomes you’re strength, you know what? You start to crave and want more of His Word.
APP: One more thing. You NEED to be in the Word of God every single day. It’s essential for your daily living.
• This is a piece of eternity that will go right into eternity with us.
• Strengthens your soul, speaks to your heart, uplifts your spirit.
REMEMBER… it’s easy to do.
• Start with PROVERBS every day… wisdom. 31, a chapter a day.
• Add some PSALMS… personal devotional thoughts…
• A few chapters from the GOSPELS… all about the life of Jesus.