Summary: this sermon was preached at a prayer breakfast briefly describing the Belt of Truth which is one of the pieces of the Armour of God found in the book of Ephesians.
For the Christian soldier the first vital piece of armor is truth. It provides support and braces the soldier ready for action. Since Satan is the father of lies (John 8:44), we cannot expect his weapons to serve our cause.
While this “truth” is the epitome of the gospel of Jesus the Christ himself, it gives us as Christians our guidelines for honor and integrity in our Christian walk.
The belt was used to hold the soldier’s clothing next to his body. This kept his clothing from flapping about and allowed him freedom of movement. The belt was also used to strengthen and support the body. This is called the “Belt of Truth.”
This type of truth is not something that is tangible. The sign of the Christian soldier is the belt of truth which cannot be seen with the necked eye. It’s not something that comes from man’s novel ideas. It’s not even a truth that is individually or subjectively thought out.
Those types of truths are self-centered and restrictive. Those types of truths are only from a finite man, a man, who is small, sinful, frail, and impure.
Man is so frail that he could not possibly discover enough truth to embrace all men. It is impossible for him to discover enough truth to bring not only life to man, but eternal life as well.
Only God and God alone can possess and give enough pure truth to embrace all men. Only God and God alone can share truth of abundant life and eternal life.
Well preacher just what is this belt of truth? Just what is this truth that the believer is to put on?
First of all, Christ is the truth. The believer is to put on Jesus the Christ. John 1:14 says, "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."
Second, The Word of God is truth. The believer is to put on the Word of God. He is sanctified by the Word of God. John 17:17 says, "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth."
Thirdly, speaking and living a life of truthfulness is truth. Zechariah 8:16 says, "These are the things that ye shall do; Speak ye every man the truth to his neighbour; execute the judgment of truth and peace in your gates."
Just before I take my seat, I want to mention that the truth does several things for the believer. I only want to close with this one.
The truth supports the believer in the battles and trials of life.
John 14:6 says, "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me"
1. Because of the truth, Moses was able to cross the Red Sea with the Israelites.
2. Because of the truth, Joshua was able to see the Walls of Jericho come tumbling down.
3. Because of the truth, Naaman was healed from his leprosy.
4. Because of the truth, David was able to slay Goliath with a sling shot and a smooth stone.
5. Because of the truth, a man came 40 and 2 generations into this world, and was born by a woman named Mary and His name was wonderful, His name was called counselor, the Prince of Peace, the everlasting Father.
6. Because of the truth, Lazarus was able to walk out of the tomb.
7. Because of the truth, Jesus was able to walk down that road called Golgotha.
8. Because of truth, He was able to hang on that old rugged cross.
9. Because of the truth, one of the thieves made it into Paradise.
10.Because of the truth, Jesus got up from the grave on the third day.
11.Because of the truth, we can sing Glory, Glory, Hallelujah, His truth Is Marching On.
Praise God! Praise God!