Summary: We need to be able to stand strong in the midst of the storms of life if we are going to grow and thrive in our spiritual walk with Jesus!
• SLIDE #1
• Mark Smith in an article in Readers Digest said the following: Like many high school seniors, my son was filling out college-scholarship applications. One form asked for extracurricular activities. He answered: “wrestling.” The next question requested positions held. He entered: “pinned, mostly.” --Mark Smith, Readers Digest Jun00 (http://www.irsweb.com/)
• How many of you have felt liked you are continually being “pinned” to the mat and are just waiting to get counted out.
• When things get difficult what do we do?
• How do we hold steady when the storms of life try to tear us to pieces?
• SLIDE #2
• Over the next five weeks we are going to journey through a series entitled, “Equip, Essential Tool For Spiritual Living.”
• One of the tools we need to possess if we are going to grow spiritually is the ability to hold steady when life’s storms come at us. WE need to have the ability to let our faith keep us grounded even in the most difficult of times.
• Today we are going to examine three reasons we can hold steady in life’s storms.
• SLIDE 3
• From verse 28 we learn…
• SLIDE #4
To hold steady in life’s storm you must understand:
I. Your storms are not bigger than God’s plan for you.
• One of the temptations we face is thinking that our problem is bigger than God’s plan. I mean we see the problem, but we do not always see the plan.
• Let us take a moment to examine the nuts and bolts of what God is saying to us in verse 28.
• SLIDE #5
A. God will not let storms destroy you.
• We are told that we KNOW that God causes all things to work together for good.
• The word “know” means to learn by instruction. How do we know our math facts? By instruction.
• We know that God causes all things to work together for good because we are taught through God’s word this is true.
• The only way we know this fact is through the teaching of the Bible.
• How many times have you seen what seemed like a hopeless situation turn into something good? I have seen some of the most difficult situations in life turn into something good for people.
• In my own life there have been many things that happened that at the time did not seem good, but later I could see they were the best thing that happened.
• We are told that God causes ALL THINGS to work together for good. In the context of the book of Romans, all things includes all the trials and tribulations we deal with in life. It deals with the persecutions we face as a result of our faith.
• We have some examples in the scriptures of this principle.
• How many of you think it would be terrible to be sold into slavery by your own brothers?
• Then how many of you think it would be bad to be thrown into prison for something you were completely innocent of after things seemed to be going well for you?