Summary: Understanding the baptism in the Holy Spirit
I. What Is This Baptism?
1. He is a Gift to be given to the believer - Acts 2:38.
a. Every born again Christian has the Holy Spirit in them but not every Christian has received the BAPTISM (immersion) with the Spirit.
2. He is also a PROMISE that can be claimed - Acts 1:4
a. A promise implies something that one has a legal right to claim. You need not beg, plead, and do things to earn this blessing. He is a gift so it’s free. He is a promise so you can claim Him by faith.
3. He can be received AFTER one is born again - Acts 19:1-6.
II. The Three works of the Spirit
2. Spirit filled - To be full of the Spirit. To be controlled by Him - Eph. 5:18; Acts 2:4; 4:31.
a. In most Pentecostal/Charismatic circles the terms Spirit filled and Spirit baptised are used synonymously. Yet they are two different works of the Spirit. However, they can occur at the same time.
III. Why receive this baptism?
1. Jesus received it and so should we - Luke 3:21-22.
3. Power to become and effective witness - Acts 1:8; 8:5-8
4. Supernatural prayer power - 1 Cor. 14:2, 4, 16-17; Jude 20; Rom. 8:26-27
IV. How To Receive.
1. The fundamental element for receiving is faith - Gal. 3:2, 5, 14.
2. We must ASK - Luke 11:9-13.
3. Yield your tongue to Him and receive a new language.
4. Sometimes we may need to have hands laid on us - Acts 8:15-17; 9:17-18.
CONCLUSION: After having gone through this lesson you should be convinced that this baptism is for you and you can receive. If you have not yet entered into this wonderful blessing then follow the steps outlined in this lesson. Though it is better to ask God for this baptism in your own way, below is a prayer that may help you if you are at a loss as to how to ask:
The Lord Jesus promised that I can receive the baptism with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking with other tongues. You promised that if I ask then I would recive exactly that which I have asked you for. Father I thank you in the name of your son Jesus and I yield myself to you Holy Spirit. Thank you for baptising me with Your Spirit.
Now just lift your hands and receive. Don’t forget to share this blessing with others.