Summary: We honor our spouse before God when we are faithful to them.

  Study Tools
  Study Tools


• Today we will continue with our Ten Commandments series. Thus far the commandments can be summarized by saying we are to honor God and we are to honor our parents. Today we are going to open up a subject that is a real problem in our society. This issue at hand today is the Seventh Commandment.

Exodus 20:14 tells us, “You shall not commit adultery.”

• This commandment can be summarized by saying, “Honor your spouse.”

• Television and movies seem to glorify adultery. Watch the Soap Operas. Many movies we see glorify it.

• Just how prevalent is the problem today? According to an article by Kerby Anderson who is the president of Probe Ministries: (

• How prevalent is adultery? Two of the most reliable studies come to similar conclusions. The Janus Report on Sexual Behavior estimates that "More than one-third of men and one-quarter of women admit having had at least one extramarital sexual experience."{1} Samuel Janus and Cynthia Janus, The Janus Report on Sexual Behavior (New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1993), 169. A survey by the National Opinion Research Center (University of Chicago) found lower percentages: 25 percent of men had been unfaithful and 17 percent of women. Even when these lower ratios are applied to the current adult population, that means that some 19 million husbands and 12 million wives have had an affair.{2} Joannie Schrof, "Adultery in America," U.S. News and World Report, 31 Aug. 1998, 31.

• Perhaps you are thinking, "This is just a problem with non-Christians in society. It can’t be a problem in the church. Certainly the moral standards of Christians are higher." Well, there is growing evidence that adultery is also a problem in Christian circles. An article in a 1997 issue of Newsweek magazine noted that various surveys suggest that as many as 30 percent of male Protestant ministers have had sexual relationships with women other than their wives.{5} Kenneth Woodward, "Sex, Morality and the Protestant Minister," Newsweek (28 July 1997), 62.

• According to a 1994 University of Michigan study, “infidelity is indeed the primary cause of divorce.”

• Only about 35 percent of couples remain together after the discovery of an adulterous affair; the other 65 percent divorce. Perhaps nothing can destroy a marriage faster than marital infidelity.

• I would imagine all of us here today have either been personally affected or know a person who has been affected in some way by adultery. Today we are going to look at what the commandment means, then we will see that the grass is not greener on the other side and finally we will look at steps as to how we can protect ourselves from the sin of adultery.



• Once again God gives us a pretty simple command to follow, but as the statistics I shared with you show, many people do not see this as important.

• When God created man and woman, He also created marriage.

• In Genesis 2:24 we are told, “For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.”

Download Sermon With PRO View On One Page With PRO
Browse All Media

Related Media

Talk about it...

Nobody has commented yet. Be the first!

Join the discussion