Summary: How To Know If What You Believe Is Truly Biblical
· The problem with some people’s faith is ….where and with whom, they have placed it!
o Ill.: Titanic
§ April 11, 1912 @ 1:30 pm: 2,227 passengers and crew members left the ports of Southampton England on the maiden voyage of the ‘Unsinkable Ship’
§ Only 705 people survived. Two-thirds of the 2,227 perished the night the ‘Unsinkable Ship’ sunk!
§ On April 11, 1912, 2,227 people learned a t lesson, which is still being taught today, ‘We should always place our trust in the Lord, and not in man!’
· However, today, people continue to place their trust in man:
o I John 4:1 “Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets (religious imposters) are gone out into the world.”
o The members of People’s Temple place their trust in Jim Jones!
o The Branch Davidians placed their trust in David Koresh!
o Today, many Christians place their trust in thus saith ‘so & so, only to find out that ‘so & so’ wasn’t teaching or preaching ‘thus saith the Lord’
§ 98% of their message is true… it’s the 2% error that should scare us
§ Ill.: Brownie’s with 2% Secret ingredient!
· II Tim. 3:16 says that “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:”
· II Pet. 1:20-21 says this: “…that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.”
· So, when we read I John 5:14-15, we must conclude the following
o 1) It too, is given by inspiration of God, just like the rest of the Bible
o 2) It too, is ‘profitable’ (advantageous) for us
o 3) It too, was given by the ‘moving’… (or bringing forth) of the Holy Ghost
· With that said, How Biblical is your faith?
o 25% Biblical, 75% un-Biblical?
o 50% Biblical, 50% un-Biblical?
o 98% Biblical, 2% un-Biblical?
· So, what does a Biblical Faith look like?
I. Biblical Faith Is An Asking Faith, 14a
A. Asking Requires Submission
i. James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
ii. Submission means ‘to put oneself under the authority of another’
1. Like a wife does when she marries her husband
2. Like a soldier does when he enlists in the military
3. Like a player does when he joins a sports team
iii. Biblical Faith requires that a Christian put themselves under the authority of …
1. The Word Of God
2. The Spirit Of God
iv. Apart from 100% submission, we are in rebellion
1. I Sam. 15:23, ‘Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft’
2. Rebellion is “Reserving for myself the right to make the final decision’
a. (I may ask for your opinion, but if I don’t like it, I’m doing what I want to do anyway)
b. Rebellion cost Lucifer a place in heaven!
c. Rebellion reserve you a place in hell!
B. Asking Requires Patience
i. Fruit of the Spirit: Love, Joy, Peace….Longsuffering (i.e. ‘Patience’)
ii. II Tim. 2:24-26
And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.