Summary: Some people in positions of authority are disturbed when the truth challenges their views. The High Priests in the first century were entitled to great power, influence and privilege. During the Roman occupation of Palestine, one could become a High Pries
Some people in positions of authority are disturbed when the truth challenges their views. The High Priests in the first century were entitled to great power, influence and privilege.
During the Roman occupation of Palestine, one could become a High Priest through bribery or political intrigue or back room deals with military officials. Annas, the high priest asked Peter,
"By what power or in what name, have you done this? Peter said, "Let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that by the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, by this name this man stands here before you in good health." (Acts 4:8-10)
The teaching of pure Biblical doctrine often causes grief to those with faulty theology. Just because a person has a high position of authority does not mean that their theology or actions are abiding in truth.
Applicatoin: Ask the Lord to help you to present the truth with the courage to reprove, correct, and preach the word with great patience and instruction to everyone.
2. One can tell if someone has faulty theology if they are not willing to suffer for what they believe to be true. Peter preached the truth even though it meant being arrested, accused and beaten. Those who do the will of God must be ready to endure the hardships that Christ suffered for the sake of truth and freedom.
The USA has had to fight eight wars during her short history for the sake of truth and freedom. There are many times we must be willing to fight the good fight of faith. It is still true that the only thing for wrong to prevail is for good people to do nothing.
Application: Ask the Lord to help you to be willing to take up your cross daily as you endure the pain, hardship and suffering of identifying fully with Christ in all things.
3. Those with faulty theology may be using the Bible or their position of authority for their own well-being instead of service. The High Priests were men who used their positions for their own self-aggrandizement. Many religious leaders sought to make themselves richer, more powerful and greater in socio-economic terms in the first century.
Application: Whenever people in position of authority try to use their office to silence the truth God will eventually discipline them. Ask the Lord to quickly remove anyone who uses their authority for their own personal enrichment.
4. Those with faulty theology have little or no fruit to show for their time in office. No doubt, the High Priests would have been terribly jealous by the fact that Peter and the apostles had just seen 5000 men believe in Christ as a result of their ministry. Jesus said,
"You will know them by their fruit."
Application: Ask God to help you accept the pruning of your ideas, character or behavior so that you can bear much fruit and prove to be His disciple.
5. People with faulty theology eventually become disenchanted, bitter and nasty to those who appear to threaten their power. The High Priests were willing to resort to false arrests and imprisonment of Peter and John to stave off any competitors for their titles as religious leaders.
Application: Trust God to help you to remain humble, contrite and broken hearted so that He can mold you and make you after His will.
6. People with faulty theology often display a false bravado. The High Priests pretended that they were defending the religious order of the day, but they were actually quivering in their shoes that they might be exposed for their hypocrisy.
Application: Trust the Lord to help you to remember what Solomon wrote, "The wicked flee when no one is pursuing, but the righteous are as bold as a lion." (Prov. 28:1) Trust God to give you the boldness of a lion.
7. People with faulty theology often speak with ambiguity so that their message lacks clarity and Biblical priorities. The High Priests opposed Jesus and His message and people instead of obeying and loving Him as God.
application: Faulty theologians misunderstand Christ and His essential purposes. Ask God to help you measure truth from the life and words of Christ. All wisdom, truth and perfect theology originates in Christ our Lord.