Summary: From March 2000 to Dec. 2002 Americans lost more than $8 trillion dollars in the stock market. Many are insisting that they have much to worry about with all of the economic uncertainties. But does this lessen the truth of the statement, "The Lord is m
Many of us live with a fear of the uncertainties of tomorrow. A fear that some day the bottom will fall out and we will have nothing to look forward to. How do we find answers for our perplexing problem and help for our feelings of inadequacy?
From March 2000 to Dec. 2002 Americans lost more than $8 trillion dollars in the stock market. Many are insisting that they have much to worry about with all of the economic uncertainties. But does this lessen the truth of the statement, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." (Psa 23:1) Other versions translate the passage, The Lord is my shepherd I will not be in need of any good thing. What does it take in order to live with a confidence, security and a sense of assurance of provisions in the midst of the uncertainties of life?
1. If you are fearful that your opponents will eventually overcome you, remember that the Lord, the creator and the Almighty God is your personal shepherd and protector.
2. If I am fearful of losing my way, He offers me direction. 3. If I am fearful of poverty, He offers me resources.
4. If I am fearful of fatigue or burnout, He offers me rest and renewal.
5. If I am fearful of spiritual compromise, He offers me growth.
6. If I am fearful of loneliness, He offers me His companionship and solace.
7. If I am fearful of humiliation, He offers me honor.
8. If I am fearful of calamity, He offers me His bountiful kindness.
9. If I am fearful of rejection or isolation, He offers me His merciful favor.
10. If I am fearful of being lost, He offers me His salvation.
11. If I do not know what to do in order to receive the benefits of being a part of the Good Shepherd’s flock.
Is there an area of your life that you have not relinquished to His Lordship?
1. Is there some aspect about the Good Shepherd’s expectations that cause you to hesitate to trust Him?
2. Have you neglected a time everyday to pray and read the word of God allowing you to get to better know the Good Shepherd?
3. Are there some desires that are clouding your better judgment?
4. Are you somehow resisting God’s gentle corrections?
5. Are you trying to restore your energy using your own power, processes and plans?
6. Are you settling for a path that does not reflect righteousness in all aspects?
7. Are you hesitating to go where He wants you to go because of your fears, uncertainties and lack of courage?
The Good Shepherd’s Solution Jesus, our loving Shepherd can lay those fears to rest. He says, "I am aware of all of your needs and will faithfully supply everything you need according to my riches in glory." "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil because You are with me. Your rod and staff comforts me." "He leads me beside quiet waters..."
"I shall lack nothing...my cup overflows..." "He makes me lie down in green pastures beside quiet waters...He restores my soul." "He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake..." "You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me..." "You anoint my head with oil...My cup overflows." "Surely goodness...will follow me all the days of my life..." "Surely...love will follow me all the days of my "I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."
1. The only requirement on my part to receive the care and protection of this devoted Shepherd, is total surrender to His Lordship.
2. Why not surrender it to Him today and begin to experience the freedom and joy of living under His sovereign and loving care?
3. "The Lord is my Shepherd." The Good Shepherd created the universe and sovereign rules over all.
4. "He makes me lie down in green pastures." He gives you the peace and the time to meet with Him everyday if you will give Him a time of devotion. It was even said of Jesus, "While it was still dark, He went out to a lonely place early in the morning and there He prayed." (Mark 1:35)
5. "The Lord is My Shepherd I shall not want." God is able to replace your selfish desires with His appetites.
6. "He makes me lie down in green pastures." The Good Shepherd always knows what is best and when the sheep need to rest and recuperate and be refreshed.
7. "He restores my soul." The Lord is able to re-energize any area of our life that is lacking strength."
8. "He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake." The Lord guides us in the best direction so He may help us become more like Christ.