QUESTION PEOPLE ASK
Part 2: How Do We Know We Believe In The Right God?
Last week we looked at evidences for God. But you know, there are many different religions in the world. There are many different people believing many different things. How in the world do we know that what we believe is right? How can we know for sure that we believe in the right, the real, the true God?
Some of you can remember the old game show, where some old stars tired to figure out between 3 contestants, who the real writer, or teacher, or whatever, really was. At least at the end of the show you knew who the real one was. In deciding about God, I am afraid that it is very important that we don’t wait until the end to figure out which one is real. The stakes are much too high.
Of all the religions, how do we know Christianity is right?
Now, first I would like to show why logically, it makes sense to be a Christian, above all other religions, and second I would like to show some evidences for Christianity.
I. WHAT RELIGIONS SAY ABOUT THEMSELVES
1. Hinduism - Started about 2000 BC. In Hinduism there are many gods. They believe the world is an illusion & the goal of humanity is to keep from being reincarnated so your soul can be absorbed into the ultimate principle. In others words, if you get it right, when you die you become part of “The Force.” Good Karma - absorbed Bad Karma - come back & do it again.
2. Buddhism - Started by Siddhartha Gautama who was born in 563 BC. He was a Hindu, but he was dissatisfied with the answers Hinduism gave to life’s problems. One day as he sat under a fig tree he suddenly found the answers to life’s problems through enlightenment. Later, he was called Buddha (Enlightened One). Goal in life is to become enlightened.
Some - no life after death
Others - Reincarnated until you get it right.
3. Islam - Began w/work of Muhammad who lived from 570-632. It began in what is currently Saudi Arabia.
Holy book - Qur’an. Salvation through good life, giving money to the poor, 5 time a day prayer, pilgrimage to Mecca.
Believe in some sort of heaven. Problem, the Qur’an, their own holy book teaches that Allah is a distant God, who doesn’t pay much attention to people, and who tries to trick people out of being saved.
4. Jehovah’s False Witnesses - 144,000 people go to heaven. The rest of the saved folk live on paradise earth. The bad, burn up & it’s over with.
5. Mormons - 3 choices - Hell, rebuilt earth, heaven - where good Mormon men become gods over their own planets. Their wives have to play their cards right so their husbands, after they are resurrected, will call their celestial names so they will rise as well. If they do, then they go have a bunch of children & populate their own planet.
You get another chance after this life.
6. Christianity -
> Hebrews 9:27 it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment.
- Mark 9:43-44
II. HOW DO I KNOW OUR GOD IS REAL?
1. Fulfilled Prophecy -
Nothing can stop the Bible. It is useless to call it the world’s best seller, though it is because that term implies comparison - and there is nothing that even remotely compares with the Bible in sales and circulation.