Summary: An Examination Of The Depth Of The Christian’s Faith In God
o People don’t need faith today, we have Credit Cards!
o People don’t need faith today, we get paid every 2 weeks!
o People don’t need faith today, we have the Government!
o People don’t need faith today, we can go out and steal it!
· Faith is not believing God can; it’s believing God WILL!
o Faith refuses to hear doubt!
o It doesn’t speak to discouragement!
o It’s allergic to disbelief!
· Heb. 11:1 tells us "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
· Heb. 11:6 tells us "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek (crave) him."
· This is the only time in Scripture when a person’s faith is called ‘Great’
o ‘Vast’, ‘Large in quantity’
· The Scripture refers to…
o ‘no’ faith quite often!
o ‘little’ faith quite often!
o ‘weak’ faith quite often!
o But, if only refers to ‘great’ faith in this one story!
· So, what is ‘Great’ Faith?
I. Great Faith Is Having Compassionate toward all people, 2-3
A. It looks out for the well-being of others,
B. It mobilizes resources for others, 3a ‘the elders’
C. It desires only good for others, 3b ‘heal his servant’
- This kind of Compassion comes with high requirements, Mt. 5:43-48
1. Love your enemies, 44
2. Do good to those that hare you, 44
3. Pray for them that despitefully use and persecute you, 44
4. Be perfect (Grown up, mental and moral character)
II. Great Faith Is Being Generous toward God’s work, 4-5
A. A Generous Faith Is Known By Others,
1. We are to give in a stealth-type way, Mt. 6:1-4
2. We are to serve in an exposed way, Mt. 5:14-16
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
B. A Generous Faith Is Valued By Others, ‘he was worthy’
- Prov. 27:2 “Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.”
- II Cor. 10:17-18 But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth.
C. A Generous Faith Is Felt By Others, ‘loveth out nation’ & ‘built us a synagogue’
1. This is a financial generosity
2. Mt. 6:19-21 (‘…where your treasure is…)
3. A Generous faith always travels with a giving heart!
· The word ‘give’ is used more than 1,500 times in Scripture.
· God expects His children to be …
i. conservative in their doctrine!
ii. Modest in their appearance!
iii. Holy in their behavior!
iv. And, generous in their giving!
4. Widow’s Mites, Mk. 12:41-44
III. Great Faith Is Being Humble towards God, 6-7a
A. Humility is the opposite of pride, I Pet. 5:5 ‘God resisteth (oppose) the proud, but gives grace unto the humble’