Summary: Because Christ is our High Priest, you must come to Him for atonement and removal of your sins.
I. Access to God is only possible through the atonement. 16:1-5
A. Entering God’s presence cannot be taken lightly (1-2).
1. Improper worship was met with death.
2. Proper worship must be done on His terms.
B. God prescribes the preparation for entering His presence (3-5).
1. Preparation of the High Priest.
2. Identification of the sacrifices.
II. Access to God is only possible through a blood sacrifice and complete removal of sin. 16:6-28
A. Access to God requires full atonement (6-10).
1. The procedure to make atonement.
2. The penalty for sin was the death.
B. God prescribes the ritual of the atonement (11-28).
1. Purification required a blood sacrifice (11-19).
2. Purification required removal of sin (20-22).
3. Purification required the completion of removal (23-28).
III. Access to God is only possible through a humble spirit of contrition. 16:29-34
A. The people did not work but humbled themselves (29-31).
1. Jesus was a humble servant.
2. Jesus fulfilled the work required for salvation.
B. God prescribes the regulations of the atonement (32-34).
1. Jesus was the anointed one.
2. Jesus made atonement for all the sin of everyone.