No one enjoys the feeling of being vulnerable to danger. Many of us go to great measures to feel protected from all kinds of threats to our personal well being. Most of us will spend money on insurance for all kinds of things. Recently, one company started to offer insurance for dogs and cats. With 57 million homes in America that own cats and 51 million that own dogs as pets, the insurance company is expecting a great response for those who want to provide a comprehensive health care insurance coverage for their beloved pet. It is strange, however, that many people fail to apply the God given assurance of protection from the scripture. There are many sins of omissions that people are guilty of when they fail to apply the promises of God to their personal security.
David writes, "The Lord is my light and my deliverer whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psa. 27:1) The promises of God that are misappropriated, under appropriated or totally neglected are not able to work their wonders in our lives as originally intended. The following are a few guidelines to help you learn to appropriate the promises of God for your protection, security and personal well being.
1. Those who are willing to seek refuge in God's will and causes will find security. David writes, "He who dwells in the shelter of the most high will abide in the shadow of the Almighty." (Psa. 91:1)
2. When we are consistently following the Lord and doing His will, His secure hedge of protection is working 24 hours a day.
3. Even though good people do not escape trouble, they can be assured of God's providential care. David writes, "The good man does not escape all troubles - he has them too. But the Lord helps him in each and every one." (Psa. 34:19)
4. Do not be perplexed by troubles as the Lord is able to use every situation for His greater good in your life experiences.
5. As long as you seek God's goodness and purposes, you can be assured of His protection. Peter writes, "Who is there to harm you if you if prove zealous for what is good? (I Pet. 3 :13)
6. The Lord gives special protection for those who are living for the advancement of His causes.
7. The Lord acts as our hiding place from uncertainty and trouble. David writes, "You are my hiding place from every storm of life; you even keep me from getting into trouble. You surround me with songs of victory." (Psa. 32:7) Not only does the Lord protect us, but He gives us supernatural grace from getting into hot water situations.
8. Despite troubling circumstances believers can be assured of God's reviving help. David writes, "Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you will revive me. You will stretch forth your hand against the wrath of my enemies and your right hand will save me." (Psa. 138:7) That is a great promise you can take to the bank!
9. When you have an intimate relationship with the Lord, nothing will unnerve you. Paul writes, "That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet, I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day." (2 Tim. 1:1 1,12)
10. The closer we are to the Lord the more secure we become. God not only protects us, but strengthens us after every troubling experience. David writes, "He fills me with strength and protects me wherever I go." (Psa. 18:32)
11. You can use your stormy sea experiences as a record to grow in faith, love, and hope.
12. The Lord becomes nearer and dearer to those who have witnessed His protection. David writes, "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in the time of trouble. Therefore, we will not fear though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea." (Psa. 46:1,2)
13. The Lord gives you a greater sense of victory every time you pass through trouble. David writes, "You are my hiding place from every storm of life; you even keep me from getting into trouble!
14. You surround me with songs of victory." (Psa. 32:7) Successive episodes of God's deliverance gives you plenty to share with others about God's marvelous protection plan. God's eternal presence in the Holy Spirit gives us comfort during every trial. Jesus said, "You shall receive power when the Spirit has come upon you and you will be my witnesses... to the uttermost parts of the earth." (Acts 1:8) God's grace is sufficient to protect His servants anywhere, anytime and in any circumstance.