Summary: ready for Christ’s return
Intro: years ago at Bible College one of the hot topics of many students was figuring out who the anti-Christ would be, what part of the world he would come from, was the mark of the beast just 666 or three sets of six numbers, and of course tabulations for the month and year of Christ’s return. Since most eschatological studies run too deep for me, today in conjunction with the showing of the movie Left Behind, I would like to give a practical sermon on this subject. How Not To Be Left Behind
How Not To Be Left Behind
· The people who will miss the return of Christ will have no supply of the Holy Spirit working in their lives. They will have no fire in their hearts and no light in the darkness.
· They will be looking for oil when the midnight cry takes place. I think this is a classic picture of people who are running to and fro in our society chasing down the anointing, and never possessing the power of God in their lives.
· No oil—religion offers no oil, rules and regulations, formalism instead of true moves of the Spirit of God leave people dried up.
Ill) I have been quite fortunate over my lifetime because I am famous for running on fumes. As long as the gas gauges say it has some gas, it is good for another 50 miles. But at least 4 or 5 times that I know for sure, I have been the guy heading for the gas station on foot with a gas container. That is how many people live their spiritual lives, not running on full, but living near empty.
· The Lord delays his coming—these are famous last words because when someone begins to say to themselves, I can live unprepared, I can get away with some things, I have all the time in the world, they are in trouble.
· Beat fellow servants- I know for some this may seem funny, but growing up ministers were the most respected, loved, and looked up to men in the community. But in our society, most are criticized, scorned and reviled by every form of media. To prove this: a million ministers can be doing great things for God, but one who fails in any way is the topic of every news agency in our society.
· Party time—eat and drink and get drunk. I know in some circles drinking alcohol in moderation is acceptable, but over the years I have met very few people who can drink moderately. This is the case in this story, someone who should be ready for the Lord’s return is drunk and is caught unprepared for the Lord’s return.
We all have to guard against a negative, doubt filled, pessimistic spirit in our lives. Some of you may feel like Eeyore. You remember Eeyore? from Winnie the Pooh. Eeyore the old donkey stood by the side of the stream and looked at himself in the water. "Pathetic," he said, "that’s what it is. Pathetic." He turned and walked down the stream twenty yards, splashed across and walked slowly back to the other side and he looked at himself in the water again. "As I thought" he said, no better from this side. But nobody minds. Nobody cares. Pathetic, that’s what it is. Then behind him Winnie the Pooh came in. "Good morning Eeyore, said Pooh. "Good morning," Pooh bear, said Eeyore gloomy, if it is good morning. Which I doubt!