1. The Holy Spirit led Joshua with promises of security, stability and God’s abiding presence. The Lord said to Joshua, "No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you." (Josh. 1:5) Ask the Lord to help you consistently to listen to the Lord’s promises of security, stability and God’s abiding presence.
2. The Holy Spirit challenged Joshua to be strong and courageous in his leadership. The Lord said to Joshua, "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them." (Josh. 1:6) Ask the Lord to remind you to be strong and courageous in the Lord’s mighty power as you carry out ALL the functions of a leader.
3. The Holy Spirit directed Joshua to be careful to obey ALL the commands of God. The Lord said to Joshua, "Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you." (Joshua 1:7) Ask the Lord to help you to be careful to obey ALL the commands of God without any deceptions.
4. The Holy Spirit conditioned Joshua’s success on his obedience to God’s directives. The Lord said to Joshua, "Do not turn to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go." (Josh. 1:7) Ask the Lord to help you to seek God’s success in terms of what is holy, true, and God honoring.
5. The Holy Spirit urged Joshua to meditate on the scriptures as the essential prerequisite for prosperous and successful ministries. The Lord said to Joshua, "Do not let this book of the law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." (Josh. 1:8) Ask the Lord to help you spend quality time in memorizing and meditating on the scripture throughout every day.
6. The Holy Spirit repeated his command to Joshua to not allow himself to give into discouragement. The Lord said to Joshua, "Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." (Josh. 1:9) Ask the Lord to help you remind yourself of the great commands of God that you are responsible to obey and teach others.
7. The Holy Spirit gave Joshua the wisdom to delegate key responsibilities and tasks to capable people. Joshua wrote, "So Joshua ordered the officers of the people: ‘Go through the camp and tell the people, Get your supplies ready. Three days from now you will cross the Jordan here to go in and take possession of the land the Lord your God is giving you for your own." (Josh. 1:10,11) Ask the Lord to give you the wisdom and the interpersonal skills to delegate key responsibilities to obey and teach others’ how to minister in a variety of circumstances.
8. The Holy Spirit provided Joshua with a socially equitable plan that could keep all the people supplied with what they needed. Joshua wrote, "But to the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh, Joshua said, "Remember the command that Moses the servant of the Lord gave you: ‘The Lord your God is giving you rest and has granted you this land...You are to help your brothers until the Lord gives them rest, as he has done for you and until they too have taken possession of the land that the Lord your God is giving them." (Josh. 1:12-15) Ask the Lord to help you become more financially conservative but socially liberal in caring for the needs of the people under your responsibility.