1. The Holy Spirit helps create fellowship between those who are estranged from God. Paul wrote, "God has reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation." (2 Cor. 5:18) Ask the Lord to teach you how to be more effective in delivering the message of reconciliation to those who are yet to know Christ as their Savior.
2. The Holy Spirit shows us how to restore communications between disagreeing people. Paul wrote, "Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God." (Rom. 15:7) Ask the Lord to help you bring Biblical, social and rational reasons why disagreeing people can reconcile their differences because of Jesus Christ.
3. The Holy Spirit disciplines those who refuse to be reconciled because of bitterness. The writer of Hebrews wrote, "Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy...See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many." (Heb. 12:14,15) Ask the Lord to help you live in the fear of God so as to avoid being spoiled by bitterness, animosity or any feelings of unreconcilable differences.
4. The Holy Spirit encourages us to love others even when they seem to oppose us at every turn. The writer of Hebrews wrote, "Keep on loving each other as brothers." (Heb 13:1) Ask the Lord for the strength to obey and love others as He loved us and gave His life on our behalf.
5. The Holy Spirit directs us to avoid those who are habitually trying to cause division. Paul wrote, "I urge you brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. For such people are not serving our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own appetites." (Rom. 16:17,18) Ask the Lord for the wisdom to know which people you should try to avoid associating with.
6. The Holy Spirit teaches us how to relate to people according to their personality strengths rather than their weaknesses. Paul wrote, "To the weak I became weak that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men that by all means I might save some." (I Cor. 9:19) Ask the Lord to help you study the characteristics of people’s personalities so that you are able to approach them in an affirming manner.
7. The Holy Spirit bridges the gap between people of opposing historical viewpoints through Christ. Paul wrote, "His purpose was to create in Himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which He put to death their hostility." (Eph. 2:15,16) Ask the Lord to perform His reconciling ministry between opposing groups or individuals by focusing all perspectives on what we have in common through Christ.
8. The Holy Spirit uses peacemakers to reconcile individuals or groups who need an arbitrator. Jesus said, "Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called sons of God." (Matt. 5:9) Ask the Lord to give you a greater quality and quantity of ways that you can carry out the ministry of a peacemaker in your church.