Summary: The Holy Spirit helps us keep our spiritual fervor by teaching us to love the Lord with ALL our heart, soul, strength and mind and our neighbor as yourself. (Luke 10:27) Even though you may be facing many troubles, criticisms, and feelings of frustration,
1. The Holy Spirit helps us keep our spiritual fervor by teaching us to love the Lord with ALL our heart, soul, strength and mind and our neighbor as yourself. (Luke 10:27 (quickview) ) Even though you may be facing many troubles, criticisms, and feelings of frustration, a spirit-led person is given the supernatural ability to keep the fires of your love for the Lord to never grow dim.
Application: Ask the Lord to help you remember how much He loves you so you can reciprocate with a passionate love for God and others.
2. The Holy Spirit convicts us of any lukewarm attitudes. Jesus said to the church of Laodicea,
"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked... Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent." (Rev. 3:15-19)
Application: Ask the Lord to convict you when you are drifting into any lukewarm state of mind or activities.
3. The Holy Spirit helps us grow in our knowledge of God’s attributes. Paul wrote,
"I pray that He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that you may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." (Eph. 3:16-19)
Application: Ask the Lord to help you grow in your knowledge of all of God’s attributes - especially His love, so you will never lack spiritual motivation.
4. The Holy Spirit rebukes us when we fail to keep God’s commandments. John wrote, "The man who says, ‘I know him,’ but does not do what He commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him." (I John 2:4 (quickview) )
Application: Ask the Lord to keep you humble, teachable and responsive to His rebukes when you are failing to obey all of His commandments.
5. The Holy Spirit brings to our memory all of the ways that Christ sacrificed for us when we are becoming hesitant to give our best. The writer of Hebrews wrote,
"Consider Him (Christ) who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." (Heb. 12:3)
Application: Ask the Lord to remind you of the courageous sufferings that Christ endured for your sake lest you begin to smugly compare your efforts with those who are around you.
6. The Holy Spirit reminds us of the bountiful harvest that is waiting for those who are obedient to Christ’s great commission of Matthew 28:18-20 (quickview) . Jesus said, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Pray to the Lord of the harvest, that He would send forth workers into His fields." (Matt. 9:36-38)
Application: Ask the Lord to help you be ever mindful of the great opportunities for eternal spiritual harvesting that you may miss unless you are looking to the fields.
7. The Holy Spirit encourages us when we are tempted to allow circumstances to get us down. Jesus said, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." (Matt. 7:7) Let the Spirit lift you through Christ’s precious promises when the odds are stacked against you.