Summary: If you’re a worrier, there’s hope for you too! Rick Warren, author of The Purpose-Driven Life, wrote: "When you think about a problem over and over in your mind, that’s called worry. When you think about God’s Word over and over in your mind, that’s medit
How the Holy Spirit Helps You Become Greater than Your Problem (Phil. 4:13)
Illustration: Everyone worries occasionally, but I was once a "professional worrier." My daily preoccupation was mulling over my worries, one by one.
Then one day I had to face an uncomfortable medical test, and I was frantic with fear. Finally I decided that during the test I would focus on the first five words of Psalm 23, "The Lord is my shepherd." This exercise in meditation not only calmed me, but I gained several fresh insights. Later, as I slowly meditated through the entire psalm, the Lord gave me more insights. Eventually I was able to share at conferences what the Lord had taught me.
If you’re a worrier, there’s hope for you too! Rick Warren, author of The Purpose-Driven Life, wrote: "When you think about a problem over and over in your mind, that’s called worry. When you think about God’s Word over and over in your mind, that’s meditation. If you know how to worry, you already know how to meditate!"
The more we meditate on God’s Word, the less we need to worry. In Psalm 23, David meditated on his great Shepherd instead of worrying. Later, God chose him to be the shepherd of His people (Psalm 78:70-72). God uses those who can honestly say, "The Lord is my shepherd." —Joanie Yoder
When fear and worry test your faith
And anxious thoughts assail,
Remember God is in control
And He will never fail. —Sper
The more we think about God’s Word, the less we’ll think about our worries. (Our Daily Bread)
1. The Holy Spirit helps us realize that the Lord is greater than any problem when He reveals more of God’s attributes to us. Isaiah wrote, "The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him - the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord." (Isaiah 11:2) Ask the Lord to let the Spirit of God triumphantly lead you to greater intimacy with the Lord through a richer knowledge and reverence of His character qualities.
2. The Holy Spirit teaches us that God is greater than any problem through His promises of deliverance. David said to the Lord after he had been delivered from the hands of his enemies, "The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior - from violent men you save me. I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies." (2 Sam. 22:2-4) Call to the Lord in all situations so that He will deliver you from all of your emotional, social, cultural, physical, financial, educational, and relational problems.
3. The Holy Spirit counsels us in our predicaments so that we can learn how God’s advice is greater than any problem. Jesus said, "But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." (John 14:26) Ask the Lord to help you listen and apply the wealth of wisdom, knowledge and skill given in the counsel of the Holy Spirit.
4. The Holy Spirit inspires us to teach, rebuke, correct and train in righteousness through the illumination of His word. Paul wrote, "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. So that the man of God could be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (2 Tim. 3:16,17) Ask the Lord to give you an extra quantity and quality of His inspiration to allow you to implement all aspects of His holy word in your personal life and ministries.
5.The Holy Spirit gives us words to speak with conviction to demonstrate His power through us. Jesus said, "But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict. You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death."(Luke 21:14-16) Trust the Lord in prayer that He will give you the right words, tone of voice and self-controlled emotions to speak in a way that it is evident you are speaking as of the Spirit of God.
6. The Holy Spirit gives supernatural grace to those of us who have physical, emotional or mental afflictions. Paul said, "Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take away my thorn in the flesh. But he said tome, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." (2 Cor. 12:8,9) Believe the Lord for a supernatural infusion of His grace at just the right time, in the right measure and in the best method to help you overcome any problem.