Summary: How the Holy Spirit Helps Us Win Our Battles - Gal 5:17-23
How the Holy Spirit Helps us Win Our Battles - Gal 5:17-23
Illustration:Quotes:There are no victories at discount prices.
General Dwight Eisenhower.
1. The Holy Spirit wages war with Christians’ sinful human nature. Paul writes, "For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other." (Gal. 5:17) Ask the Lord to help you fight the good fight of faith in overcoming your sinful desires that oppose God’s purposes, plans and priorities.
Illustration:Connie Mack, who managed the Philadelphia Athletics from 1900 to 1950, once said, "I’ve seen boys on my baseball team go into a slump and never come out of it, and I’ve seen others snap right out and come back better than ever. I guess more players lick themselves than are ever licked by an opposing team."
2. The Holy Spirit helps us equip ourselves with all of the spiritual weapons of war. Paul writes, "Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." (Eph. 6:11,12) Ask the Lord to let the Spirit guide you in strengthening, replenishing, or fortifying any aspect of your spiritual armament so you are not vulnerable in any area.
3. The Holy Spirit teaches us the truth that we need to be protected from any false accusations or insinuations. Paul wrote, "Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist." (Eph. 6:14) Truth is essential if we are going to be exposed to all kinds of attacks from the world, the flesh and the devil. Many criticisms will be hurled at forward moving Christians who are engaged in ministries that are advancing the kingdom of God and His righteousness. Ask the Lord to help you let the word of Christ dwell in you richly so that you do not entertain any doubts, fears or insecurities about God’s promises.
4. The Holy Spirit imputes Christ’s righteousness to us and assures us with the righteousness we acquire through His fruits. Paul writes, "With the breastplate of righteousness in place." (Eph. 6:14b) Ask the Lord to help you be more thankful for all aspects of His imputed righteousness and seek to live a more holy life that is evidenced by the Spirit’s fruits of righteousness in all aspects of your life.
5. The Holy Spirit empowers us to share the gospel in a way that lets us become His witnesses. Paul writes, "And with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace." (Eph. 6:15) Ask the Lord to help you share the gospel in the Spirit’s power so that you are inspired, informed and persuasive witnesses for Christ.
6. The Holy Spirit increases the quality and quantity of your faith. Paul writes, "In addition to all of this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one." (Eph. 6:16) The Spirit gives greater faith to those who have obediently trusted the Lord to use us in ways that cannot be done through human strength, wisdom or connections. Ask the Lord to help you grow in the quantity and quality of your faith.