1. The Holy Spirit protects us from manipulators of the scripture by teaching us to be discerning of truth. Many Pharisaical leaders have learned how to use the scripture as a club to manipulate people for their own selfish gain. The Holy Spirit gives us a discerning mind to help us distinguish between truth and partial truths. Hebrews 5:14 says, "Solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." Ask the Lord to help you become more discerning by obeying God rather than what men. Only gullible people fall into the trap of relying on "specially gifted leaders" who would have you rely on them for the "correct interpretation" of the Bible.
2. The Holy Spirit delivers us from selfish manipulators of scripture because He is the Master teacher of truth. Jesus said, "When he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth." (John 16:13) Ask the Lord to deliver you from manipulators of the Bible by allowing the Spirit to directly teach you God's truth.
3. The Holy Spirit gives us wisdom to see through the manipulative tricks of ambitious leaders. Some leaders claim that they want to keep their members "accountable". Actually, many of these leaders are mainly interested in controlling their people. Do not give into their devious attempts to put you under their control. Jesus said to the Pharisees when they tried to force Him to submit to their laws, "All of the laws of the prophets are summed up in the command, Love the Lord your God and your neighbor as yourself." Ask the Lord to help you gain greater wisdom in being able to overcome the trickery of ambitious leaders.
4. The Holy Spirit fights the battles for those of us who are not educated as some manipulative leaders. David wrote, "The Lord protects the simple hearted; when I was in great need, he saved me." (Psa. 116:6) Ask the Lord to fight the intellectual, emotional and spiritual battles for you as He is able to rescue you from any person, organization or situation.
5. The Holy Spirit exposes manipulative leaders of scripture for their proof-texting. Some leaders take their own selfish ideas and plans to the Bible looking for a verse that will loosely support their way of thinking. Spiritually abusive leaders use proof-texting to bolster their own agenda for selfish reasons. Jesus said, "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them." (Matt. 7:15,16) Ask the Lord to expose leaders who habitually use proof-texting to support their own selfish agendas.
6. The Holy Spirit gives us clear Biblical criteria by which Pharisaical leaders may be evaluated. John wrote, "This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: every spirit that acknowledges (Placing their full allegiance, commitment and loyalty to) Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God." (I John 4:2) Ask the Lord to help you use Biblical criteria for helping to evaluate a leader’s spiritual credibility.
7. The Holy Spirit judges Pharisaical leaders in a way that he uses their chastening as warnings for other scriptural manipulators. Paul wrote, "The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains." (Phil. 1:17) "Be not deceived, God is not mocked. For whatever a man sows, that will he also reap." (Gal. 6:7) Ask the Lord to use the chastening of the Spirit to publicly put more of the fear of God in scriptural manipulators.
8. The Holy Spirit uses Godly people like Paul, the apostle, to confront phony leaders. Dr. Luke wrote, "Then Saul, who was also called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked straight at Elymas the sorcerer and said, "You are a child of the devil and an enemy of everything that is right! You are full of all kinds of deceit and trickery. Will you never stop perverting the right ways of the Lord? How the hand of the Lord is against you. You are going to be blind, and for a time you will be unable to see the light of the sun." (Acts 13:9-11) Ask the Lord to use courageous people of God to publicly confront phony spiritual manipulators.
9. The Holy Spirit convicts, chastens and bring shame to Pharisaical leaders who try to use the Bible to protect their image. Jesus said to the Pharisees, "You are those who try to justify yourselves in the sight of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in the sight of God." (Luke 16:15) Ask the Lord to put great pressure on Pharisaical leaders using His own timing, methods and will.