Summary: How the Holy Spirit Protects Us From Self-serving People (Mark 7:11-12)Guidelines for being discerning, wise and Spirit led in guarding yourself from harm
How the Holy Spirit Protects Us From Self-serving People (Mark 7:11-12)
Illustration:The deity of the Holy Spirit ought to be clearly recognized in Scripture. Look at these facts: Christ is born; the Spirit is His forerunner. Christ is baptized; the Spirit bears witness. Christ is tempted; the Spirit leads Him up. Christ ascends; the Spirit takes His place. What great things are there in the character of God which are not found in the Spirit? What titles which belong to God are not also applied to Him? He is called the Spirit of God, the Spirit of Christ, the mind of Christ, the Spirit of the Lord, the Spirit of adoption, of truth, of liberty; the Spirit of wisdom, of understanding, of counsel, of might, of knowledge, of godliness, of the fear of God. This only begins to show how unlimited He is.
1. The Holy Spirit corrects Pharisaical manipulators of scripture when they try to use a distorted doctrine to advance their purposes.
Solomon wrote, "Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before stumbling." Jesus detested how the Pharisees tried to distort scripture for their own selfish motives. Jesus said, "But you say that if a man says to his father or mother: ’Whatever help you might otherwise have received from me is Corban (that is, a gift devoted to God). Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition." (Mark 7:11,12)
Ask the Lord to use the power of the Spirit to correct any distorted doctrinal truth. He is the best teacher, rebuker, corrector and trainer for righteousness. (2 Tim. 3:16,17)
2. The Holy Spirit delivers us from selfish manipulators of scripture because He is the Master teacher of truth. Jesus said, "When he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth." (John 16:13) Ask the Lord to deliver you from manipulators of the Bible by allowing the Spirit to directly teach you God’s truth.
3. The Holy Spirit gives us wisdom to see through the manipulative tricks of ambitious leaders. Some leaders claim that they want to keep their members "accountable".
Actually, many of these leaders are mainly interested in controlling their people. Do not give into their attempts to put you under their control.
Jesus said to the Pharisees when they tried to force Him to submit to their laws, "All of the laws of the prophets are summed up in the command, Love the Lord your God and your neighbor as yourself."
Ask the Lord to help you gain greater wisdom in being able to overcome the trickery of ambitious leaders.
4. The Holy Spirit fights the battles for those of us who are not educated as some manipulative leaders. David wrote, "The Lord protects the simple hearted; when I was in great need, he saved me." (Psa. 116:6)
Ask the Lord to fight the intellectual, emotional and spiritual battles for you as He is able to rescue you from any person, organization or situation.
5. The Holy Spirit exposes manipulative leaders of scripture for their proof-texting. Some leaders take their own selfish ideas and plans to the Bible looking for a verse that will loosely support their way of thinking.