Summary: Psalms 1 gives us guidelines for being blessed, favored and multiplied by God. It also provides us with warnings that are equally important but usually misunderstood.
How to Be Blessed by God
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful. But his delight in in the law of the Lord and in his law he meditates day and night... (Psa 1:1,2)
Song: You can only be blessed and have peace and sweet rest, when you yield Him your body and soul.
Being blessed of God means a person enjoys God’s favor, approval and empowerment. Here are a few guidelines for enjoying the full blessing of God and then being a instrument to be a blessing to your Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and on to the utter most parts of the earth.
1. SATURATE yourself with the word of God. Fill up your thoughts, attitudes and conversations with things that found in God’s word. Let His word richly dwell in your goals, your interactions and your daily
conversations. Meditation involves hearing, reflecting and readjusting our entire lifestyle in obedience to God’s perfect will. Avoid anything that will distract you from filling your thoughts with what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, excellent, admirable or praise-worthy.
2. SITUATE yourself by the living word. Jesus said, "He who believes in me, from His inner most being will flow living of living water."(John 7:38 (quickview) ) Know that your meditation is a communion with the Savior, Redeemer, Restorer and Rebuilder. Spend time with the Lord in His word and prayer every morning before you walk out the front door. David wrote, "Let me hear your lovingkindness in the morning. Make to know the path in which I should walk for to you I lift up my soul." (Psa 143;8)
3. SATISFY yourself with God’s word, His will and His way. It is not enough to merely think good thoughts but we find our greatest satisfaction completing His will for our lives through obedience to His will. Jesus said, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent me." (John 4:34 (quickview) )Jesus said, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be satisfied." (Matt 5:8 (quickview) )
4. SEPARATE yourself from the world. The Psalmists warns us not to sit, walk or stand with the ungodly. Let there be no fellowship with people of ungodliness. Paul wrote, "Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of pure heart. Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you knw they produce quarrels... Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will." (2 Tim. 2:22-26)
5. SANCTIFY yourself in the truth. Jesus said, "Sanctify them in your truth. Your word is truth." (John 17:7 (quickview) ) Let the word of God cleanse your thoughts, your motives and your perceptions.