Summary: To be like Christ is the ultimate goal of a believer
“But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.”
- This “same image” is the image of Christ
- This image reflects the Glory of God
- The transformation is authored by the Holy Spirit
But, so many times we are not like Christ.
- Christ was perfect, yet we sin almost daily
- Christ was love, yet we hate and hold resentment
- Christ was wise, yet we make stupid decisions
- Christ was one with the Father, yet we forget that God is with us many times
- Christ was strong, yet we get weak when the pressures grow to heavy
- Christ was brave, yet we have fear and anxiety
- Christ was focused, yet we go in so many different directions
The bottom line is that we constantly fall short.
Mark 14:27-30: 27 "All of you will desert me," Jesus told them. "For the Scriptures say, ’God F82 will strike the Shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.’ F83 28 But after I am raised from the dead, I will go ahead of you to Galilee and meet you there." 29 Peter said to him, "Even if everyone else deserts you, I never will." 30 "Peter," Jesus replied, "the truth is, this very night, before the rooster crows twice, you will deny me three times."
Here we see Peter making a bold promise to the Lord, one that he would break the very same day!
So, then how do we become like Christ?
Step 1: Receive
- Salvation and the Holy Spirit: Acts 2:37-38 - 37 Peter’s words convicted them deeply, and they said to him and to the other apostles, "Brothers, what should we do?" 38 Peter replied, "Each of you must turn from your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
- The Word of God: Romans 10:17: So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
- The Mind of Christ: I Corinthians 2: 13-16 13 When we tell you this, we do not use words of human wisdom. We speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spirit’s words to explain spiritual truths. F10 14 But people who aren’t Christians can’t understand these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them because only those who have the Spirit can understand what the Spirit means. 15 We who have the Spirit understand these things, but others can’t understand us at all. 16 How could they? For, "Who can know what the Lord is thinking? Who can give him counsel?" F11 But we can understand these things, for we have the mind of Christ.
Step 2: Retain/Remain
- Stand firm - I Corinthians 16:13 Be on guard. Stand true to what you believe. Be courageous. Be strong.
- Let God’s Word In - Be the good soil
- Don’t Do It By Mistake - Establish the disciplines of the faith – reading, praying, testifying, and having fellowship
- Go Deeper - Read the Word, then study the Word
- Relax - Take time to enjoy the freedom live life freely and abundantly – rest, laugh, hug, kiss, sing, dance, and do things that you enjoy doing.
- Have A Spiritual Battle Plan – Create a strategy for retaining what God gives you.
Step 3: Reflect
- The Character and Spirit of Christ: 2 Corithians 4:6-7 - 6 For God, who said, "Let there be light in the darkness," has made us understand that this light is the brightness of the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ. 7 But this precious treasure – this light and power that now shine within us – is held in perishable containers, that is, in our weak bodies. So everyone can see that our glorious power is from God and is not our own.
- Our Works and Deeds: Matthew 5:7 - In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.
- Our Purity: Philipians 2:15 - so that no one can speak a word of blame against you. You are to live clean, innocent lives as children of God in a dark world full of crooked and perverse people. Let your lives shine brightly before them.
- To be like Christ is the ultimate goal of a believer
- We fail, we fall, we are broken daily, but we get back up
- It takes energy and strength to keep our faith in a world that fights against it