Summary: Features the main characteristics of God’s champions using the example of David
WHO WILL BECOME GOD’S CHAMPION?
1 Samuel 17
A champion of God has certain characteristics.
THE MAJOR ONE IS THAT A CHAMPION OF GOD IS READY TO STAND AGAINST THE ARMIES OF THE ENEMIES OF GOD (Matthew 11:12).
1. They usually don’t have any enabling physical attributes. They seldom have the capabilities to win physical battles against the enemy. Like Esther they may even be orphans (Esther 2:7).
2. Age is not a determinant of who will be God’s champion (1 Sam 17: 33)
3. He might be weak, forgotten, poor, without position (1 Sam 17: 38,39) (Zechariah 4: 6,7)
4. He who will become a champion, must first be a servant, messenger (1 Samuel 17:17,18). He must previously be in obedience.
5. He must have boldness. He/she must be someone who cannot keep quiet. (1 Samuel 17: 45-48)
6. He/she must know his/her God (they must be in the word continually) (1 Samuel 17:37), (Joshua 1:8)
7. He/she must be in awe and fear of God not men (Esther, Daniel and his friends)
8. The champion must be able to see victory ahead and be able to declare it (1 Samuel 17: 45-47)
9. A champion must walk in divine wisdom. If he/she does not have it, they must seek it. (Jeremiah 33:3, 1 Samuel 17:40, 1 Samuel 34-36, Job 33:15-17).
10. One who willl be God’s champion, must first demonstrate his/her abilities in secret i.e he must have first won battles in the secret place; usually in prayer and character development. (Matthew 4:1,2), (Mark 6:46)
11. A champion of God is assured of physical riches and success, fame (1 Samuel 17:25)
12. Such a person is also assured eternal riches (Luke 18:29,30). Such people are assured favour; David, Esther, Solomon, Joseph, Daniel, Moses, Elijah
13. A champion of God must be ready to make sacrifices. He must disdain earthly things and seek for the true prize which is God’s kingdom.
14. A champion of God, must not seek to be a local champion, but must seek to conquer the world (Acts 1:8)
15. A champion can only be a champion when he/she receives empowerment from above (Acts 1:8, Luke 3:21,22, 1 Samuel 16:13)
16. For God to anoint you a champion, your heart must be turned towards him. (1 Samuel 16:7, Jeremiah 17:10)
17. To do exploits, He that is in you must be greater than he that is in the world. (1 John 4:4).
Anyone can be God’s champion. It is just a simple decision. Who wants to be a champion?!