Summary: A battle plan to achieve victory over Satan.
How to Claim Victory over Satan
God or the World - #2 Ephesians 6:10-20
Last week, we recognized our enemy as Christians and who the problem causer in the world is – SATAN. This morning, we look at ways that we can defeat Satan and his ways as they are strategically lined up at us – ready to do battle.
5 Characteristics of Satan
1. Satan is real and He is Ruthless
v.11 – Devil
v.12 – Spiritual Wickedness
2. Satan is Systematic in His Warfare
v.11 – Wiles of the Devil
Very methodical in his attack. Has a strategic plan for each person in this room.
3. Satan is Spiritual in His Essence
All that is spiritual is not necessarily holy
v. 12 – Our battle is against spiritual wickedness
4. Satan is strong in his abilities
v. 12 – Principalities and powers
5. Satan is Sinister in His motives
Devious and wicked
Provides a Frontal attack at all that is Godly
MORALS WORLD GOD
Teen Sex OK NO
Abortion OK NO
Homosexuality OK NO
Satan denies all morals and values
Provides Subtle attacks to imprint on impressionable minds
Phone calls to spread rumors or innuendo
Phone calls to talk about church
Satan is brilliant – now do you see why we need a game plan to defeat Satan?
Paul was in prison admiring the attire of the Roman soldier who was guarding him. He noticed the way he was dressed and compared the soldier to a Christian.
This morning, I give you Tools to Claim a Victory Over Satan.
a. Belt of Truth – “Integrity”
Soldier held his armor together and gave support
Christian must have the truth of God holding us together.
We must KNOW the truth, BELIEVE the truth, TELL the truth, and LIVE the truth.
Remember, the cleverest lie sounds like the truth.
b. Breastplate of Righteousness – “Purity”
Soldier had metal chains/plates from neck to waist. Protected his vital organs.
Christian must be pure.
Satan is looking for a crack to slip in!
Prov 4:23 – “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life”
There is no reason that we shouldn’t have a pure heart now!
c. Shoes of Peace – “Tranquility”
Soldier – hobnailed sandles to provide traction
Christian – Peace
• Peace to stand firm with the Gospel
• Peace because battles will be rough
o Jesus = Peace, World = Troubles
o Peace in the midst of a storm
d. Shield of Faith – “Certainty”
Soldier – wood/leather – dipped in water so that it would be tough enough to withstand – “Fiery darts”
Christian – Our faith in God is our defense
Heb 11:1 – “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen”
• Every child of God must take up the shield of faith and stand firm, no matter what comes our way.
e. Helmet of Salvation – “Sanity”
Soldier – protection of his head
Christian – our eternal protection
• Soldier must keep his cool in battle
• In the midst of a battle, we must have our minds and hearts protected and controlled by God.
• Don’t blow up or get angry
We are offensive/attacking the devil in a battle that we’ve won through Jesus on the cross.
In the midst of storms, who do we turn to? Ghostbusters? I think not
1. We attack with the word of God!
For the word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any two edged sword – piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb 4:12)
• We must study intently
• We must share what we’ve studied with our friends – They need help in this fight to.
• We are not alone – we all face the fires of hell every day – but if you’ve got Jesus – you’ve got peace in knowing that you have help!
2. We attack through prayer
• We ask the Holy Spirit to guide us through a battle.
• If we don’t ask – how are we going to receive?
You may be in the battle of your life now. Nothing seems to be going right. God is there waiting on you to call on Him
You can’t get to heaven on good works. You can’t build your own breastplate of righteousness.
You can’t be dependent on yourself to get through the trials of this world – you need Jesus
Do you want to defeat Satan? Totally surrender to Jesus Christ today.