Summary: We need to grow in prayer…And the only way that is going to happen is to pray! It’s as simple as that.
How to Get the Most from Your Prayer Life
You know…the Apostle Paul really knows how to end a letter with a BANG!
• In this chapter he starts by talking about Family and having healthy relationships.
• Then he goes on to teach us what we need to do in order to have victory over the attacks of Satan.
• And when you stop and think about it…
• These are two topics that believers still need help with today.
Paul begins by challenging believers to Put On The Whole Armor of God!
This armor consists of SIX pieces.
• Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth
• The body armor of God’s righteousness
• For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared
• In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil
• Put on salvation as your helmet,
• the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God
What Paul is doing is using the illustration of a Roman Soldier
to help believers understand that we need to be prepared for a battle…
• We see and can understand that God provides protection
• And we can rely on that protection in order to have victory.
But what is interesting is that the chapter doesn’t end here.
• Paul…has us really had us energized and excited thinking about the Armor that God provides his children….
• It’s cool to talk about the shield of faith and the sword of the spirit.
• And the reason he does…is because he wants to teach us another valuable lesson.
Understand the Importance of Prayer.
• Now I’m sure that wearing all that Armor is truly impressive….
• But the problem is… if that is all you got…then you ain’t got enough.
• You see, the Armor is great for providing protection….
• But we also need “power” in order to be victorious.
• A battle isn’t just about defense…it is also about offense.
• And God wants to provide the energy we need in order to have Victory.
And that is exactly why we need to pray!
Prayer is what we need because Prayer is what gives us access to God.
• And when we have access to God we get the power we need for battle.
• And it’s through this power that we gain victory
• over the spiritual battles that we will engage in.
So this being said let me ask you….HOW IS YOUR PRAYER LIFE?
• Do you feel like it is pretty strong? GREAT
• Do you feel like it pretty good, but could use some work?
• Do you feel like it is almost non-existent?
• Regardless of the condition of your prayer life….this message is for you.
Paul not only tells them that they need to pray,
But he provides some suggestions on how they can Prayer more effectively.
II. Instructions for Effective Prayer. 18
• Great instructions can make all the difference in the world.
• Clear instructions can be the difference between finding your desired location
• and wandering around lost for hours at a time.
• Paul does us a huge favor in this text.
• He provides clear directions about prayer.
• And by doing this we discover the power that we need to experience victory in the heat of battle.
First we see that we should Never Hang Up on God. “Pray at All Times.”
• It is interesting to see that the “Frequency of our prayers” was a very common theme for Paul.
• Philippians 4:6 “But in everything let your requests be made known to God.
• Colossians 4:2 “Devote yourselves to prayer.”
• 1 Thess 5:7 “pray without ceasing.”
This wasn’t just a theme for Paul’s letters …it was part of his life.
• But how is it possible to “pray all the time?”
• Good question… and in order to understand this we have to define the term.
• To pray at all times means that we are God- Conscious.
• That we live in a constant awareness of His Presence.
You see, praying without ceasing is simply seeing things from God’s viewpoint.
• When we see a hurt…. we ask God to heal it.
• When we see a problem…. we turn to God for a solution.
• Basically, it’s depending on God through every area of life.
• Every waking moment we should either praising God for a blessing
• Or interceding for someone in need
• Constant prayer is living in a way where we never have to say
• “Lord, Come into my presence….Because we never left His presence.”
Second Don’t Just Ask….but Tell. “With all Prayer and Petition.”