Summary: Sometimes the reason why we have not experienced joy is our failure to ask God for His deliverance and help. Jesus said, In John 16:24 - UNTIL NOW YOU HAVE NOT ASKED ANYTHING IN MY NAME. AKS AND YOU WILL RECEIVE AND YOUR JOY WILL BE COMPLETE
1. Joy is a fruit of the Spirit; it cannot be manufactured by human effort. Paul wrote, "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy…(Gal 5:22,23)
2. Jesus wrote, "In the world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world." (John 16:33) Do not think that life will be bed of roses or that you are exempt from trials.
3. Remember the old song, "Must Jesus bear the cross alone and all the world go free? No there is a cross for everyone and there’s a cross for me. His commandments are not a burden, for whoever believes and obeys will not experience an overwhelming load. ( I John 5)
4. David wrote, In the Psalms "I WILL SING FOR JOY AT THE WORKS OF THE HANDS HOW GREAT ARE THY WORKS O LORD FOR YOU HAVE MADE ME GLAD BY WHAT YOU HAVE DONE.
5. David wrote after he sinned, in Psa. 51:12 RESTORE TO ME THE JOY OF MY SALVATION and GRANT ME A WILLING SPIRIT. THEN I WILL TEACH TRANSGRESSORS YOUR WAYS AND SINNERS WILL TURN BACK TO YOU.
6. Remember that we are to experience the joy on earth as it is in heaven. IN Luke we learn, "THERE IS MORE JOY IN HEAVEN OVER ONE SINNER WHO REPENTS THAN OVER Many WHO DO NOT NEED TO REPENT.
7. Sometimes the reason why we have not experienced joy is our failure to ask God for His deliverance and help. Jesus said, In John 16:24 - UNTIL NOW YOU HAVE NOT ASKED ANYTHING IN MY NAME. AKS AND YOU WILL RECEIVE AND YOUR JOY WILL BE COMPLETE.
8. Paul warned people not to try to find their joy in earthly pleasures when he wrote, "THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS NOT EATING & DRINKING, BUT RIGHTEOUSNESS, PEACE, & JOY IN THE HOLY SPIRIT.
9. Solomon wrote about the medicinal properties of laughter in Proverbs 17:22 - A JOYFUL HEART IS GOOD MEDICINE, BUT A CRUSHED SPIRIT DRIES UP THE BONES.
10. David prayed for joy, in Psalm. 143:8-14 - SATISFY US IN THE MORNING WITH YOUR UNFAILING LOVE THAT WE MAY SING FOR JOY & BE GLAD ALL OUR DAYS.
11. Paul found joy in his converts and in his disciples. He wrote in 2 Cor. 7:4 - I HAVE GREAT CONFIDENCE IN YOU; I TAKE GREAT PRIDE IN YOU. I AM GREATLY ENCOURAGED; IN ALL OUR TROUBLES MY JOY KNOWS NO BOUNDS.
12. The writer of Hebrews found joy amidst the pain by focusing his energies on Jesus despite the setbacks. He wrote, FIXING OUR EYES ON JESUS WHO FOR THE JOY SET BEFORE HIM ENDURED THE CROSS DESPISING THE SHAME & IS NOW SEATED AT THE RIGHT HAND OF THE THRONE OF GOD. FOR CONSIDER HIM WHO ENDURED SUCH SUFFERINGS OF SINNERS AGAINST HIMSELF LEST YOU BE WEARY & FAINT IN YOUR MINDS. (Heb. 12:1-3)
13. The writer of Hebrews identified the reason why many are joyless, Heb. 13:7 - OBEY YOUR LEADERS & SUBMIT TO THEM AS TH:EY MUST GIVE AN ACCOUNT. OBEY THEM SO THEIR WORK MAY BE A JOY, NOT A BURDEN, FOR THAT WOULD BE OF NO ADVANTAGE TO YOU.
14. Failure to give what God directs us to give can lead to sad hearts. Paul wrote, in 2 Cor. 9:7 - EACH MAN SHOULD GIVE WHAT HE HAS DECIDED IN HIS HEART TO GIVE, NOT RELUCTANTLY OR UNDER COMPULSION, FOR GOD LOVES A CHEERFUL GIVER.\
15. John recognized the joy that comes from seeing our spiritual disciples doing well in the Lord. He wrote, 3 JOHN 1:3 - I HAVE NO GREATER JOY THAN TO HEAR THAT MY CHILDREN ARE WALKING IN TRUTH.
16. Jude wrote an encouragement to all of us who are weary of well doing not sure of our ability to stay the course. JUDE 1:24 - TO HIM WHO IS ABLE TO KEEP YOU FROM FALLING ~ TO PRESENT YOU BEFORE HIS GLORIOUS PRESENCE WITHOUT FAULT & WITH GREAT JOY!