Summary: Our walk is a faith walk. If we walk by faith, then we cannot walk by sight. The account of Israel struggling to enter into Canaan is full of examples for us today on walking by sight and not by faith. (Based on a teaching by Chuck Swindoll)
How to Miss The Promised Land
· The Christian walk, is a faith walk, we walk by faith and not by sight - a confidence in God’s Word
· Heb 11:1 - without faith it is impossible to please Him
· We must believe God’s Word, even when it seems ridiculous
· Even when it seems risky, when It looks hard
· Even when people laugh at us & criticize us
· Isa 55:10 "For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven, And do not return there, But water the earth, And make it bring forth and bud, That it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater, 11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
· When God says it… you can count on it
· 1 Cor 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat; 4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. 5 But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness. 6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
· There are 5 "all’s" listed here
· They all experienced God’s miraculous but God ended up not pleased with many
· This is not just about Israel, it is an example for us
· The accounts of Israel are enormously relevant to us
· 2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
· Right before every great move of God and right after a great move of God - attack comes
· The Enemy wants you far away your promised land
· What is the "Promised Land?"
o God’s destination for your life
o His place of fulfillment for you
o His place of overabundance
o His place of establishment for you
o His place of prosperity for you
o His place of peace for you
· Stop, Look & Listen - this message is full of warnings
Numbers 13:1 And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 2 "Send men to spy out the land of Canaan, which I am giving to the children of Israel; from each tribe of their fathers you shall send a man, every one a leader among them."
· The Lord tells them to spy out the land, not to see if they could conquer it
· to get strategies on how they would conquer it.
3 So Moses sent them from the Wilderness of Paran according to the command of the LORD, all of them men who were heads of the children of Israel.
Vs. 4 -15 (gives the names and tribes of the 12 spies)
16 These are the names of the men whom Moses sent to spy out the land. And Moses called Hoshea the son of Nun, Joshua. 17 Then Moses sent them to spy out the land of Canaan, and said to them, "Go up this way into the South, and go up to the mountains, 18 and see what the land is like: whether the people who dwell in it are strong or weak, few or many; 19 whether the land they dwell in is good or bad; whether the cities they inhabit are like camps or strongholds; 20 whether the land is rich or poor; and whether there are forests there or not. Be of good courage. And bring some of the fruit of the land." Now the time was the season of the first ripe grapes. 21 So they went up and spied out the land from the Wilderness of Zin as far as Rehob, near the entrance of Hamath. 22 And they went up through the South and came to Hebron; Ahiman, Sheshai, and Talmai, the descendants of Anak, were there. (Now Hebron was built seven years before Zoan in Egypt.) 23 Then they came to the Valley of Eshcol, and there cut down a branch with one cluster of grapes; they carried it between two of them on a pole. They also brought some of the pomegranates and figs. 24 The place was called the Valley of Eshcol, because of the cluster which the men of Israel cut down there. 25 And they returned from spying out the land after forty days. 26 Now they departed and came back to Moses and Aaron and all the congregation of the children of Israel in the Wilderness of Paran, at Kadesh; they brought back word to them and to all the congregation, and showed them the fruit of the land. 27 Then they told him, and said: "We went to the land where you sent us. It truly flows with milk and honey, and this is its fruit.