Summary: David did it and so can you!
HOW TO SLAY YOUR GIANT
1st Samuel 17:32-37
(32) And David said to Saul, Let no man’s heart fail because of him; thy servant will go and fight with this Philistine.
(33) And Saul said to David, Thou art not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him: for thou art but a youth, and he a man of war from his youth.
(34) And David said unto Saul, Thy servant kept his father’s sheep, and there came a lion, and a bear, and took a lamb out of the flock:
(35) And I went out after him, and smote him, and delivered it out of his mouth: and when he arose against me, I caught him by his beard, and smote him, and slew him.
(36) Thy servant slew both the lion and the bear: and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be as one of them, seeing he hath defied the armies of the living God.
(37) David said moreover, The Lord that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine. And Saul said unto David, Go, and the Lord be with thee.
A sheepherder who went on to become one of the greatest Men of the entire Bible
The man who faced the Philistine Giant and defeated him
ALL OF US HAVE FACED
GIANTS IN OUR OWN LIVES
The church has faced many Giants!
Many of would be foes have tried to destroy the church.
And if the Lord tarries, this church too will face many Giants.
I’ve faced Giants on the job. I have battled overcoming hinderances from being able to come to church. At one point I began to think if God would ever open a door for me to escape working on Sundays and be able to be in church more.
I too have faced several Giants and realize that I will face many more!
WE MUST NOT CONCENTRATE ON
HOW THE GIANT MAY HURT US
BUT MORE SO ON
HOW WE MAY SLAY THE GIANT
“Hitting a baseball”
In order to hit a baseball you need to concentrate on making contact, not on not missing it
Concentrate not on striking out but hitting the ball
Barry Bonds didn’t break Mark McGwire’s homerun record trying not to strike out. Seattle Mariner, “Ichoro,” the rookie from Japan, did not win the American League MVP this year by trying not to miss the ball.
In order to slay the Giant, we must figure a way to get to him, not prevent him from getting to us.
David thought more of what he had and needed to slay Goliath with rather than his concern over what he didn’t have or lacked. He looked for something to fight with. David picked him up 5-smooth stones along with God’s word and went to face the giant.
When he approached the Giant he first gave him the word: Listen to the scriptures:
(45) Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
(46) This day will the Lord deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.
There is Power in God’s Word!
You don’t have to be defeated by your Giant!
There is power in God’s Word to slay him!
So many say, “You don’t understand, I can’t this; or I can’t that!”
“I can’t quit smoking”
“I can’t quit overeating”
“I can’t quit lying”
“I can’t quit swearing”
My bible tells me, ….“Greater is he that is within me than he that is in the world!”
You can slay your Giant!
Perhaps you just don’t know how yet!
David did a lot of big talking here.
Now some might say he was being kind of “boastful.”
Well, I would have to agree. But you see, David wasn’t boasting of confidence in himself. David boasted because of his confidence in his God! God is not looking for people with “Big-Egos,” but those with “Big Heroes!”
My confidence is in God not my status! My outline preperations, nor my subjects will ever make me a great speaker.If I am to be successful in this ministry it will be because of who my heroes are.
Who are they?