One thing that we cannot live without is light. It may be easy to take light for granted, but nothing can live without it. Even though Christ is the light of the world John writes, "Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light and will not come to the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed." (John 3:19,20) What can we do to reverse our natural tendency to shy away from walking in the light?
1. Jesus' "Light" gives us supernatural wisdom and knowledge. Thanks to Jesus, believers have the advantage of seeing things that non-Christians will never understand or appreciate. Jesus once prayed, "I praise you Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children." (Matt. 11:25) The Lord's light illuminate truth to believers that afford them limitless advantages.
2. Jesus used His ministry as "Light in the darkness" to disclose the true nature of God. In everything that Jesus did, He revealed more of the character, purpose and mission of the heavenly Father. Let your entire being give a reflection of the true attributes of God.
3. Jesus did not entangle Himself in politics, philosophy or science that had no direct bearing to His kingdom's ministry. The Lord allowed other people to explore the works of nature, human literature, or economics. Jesus felt that natural revelation already had shown sufficient light on the kingdoms of this world. The Savior came to focus His energies on giving light to those who were in spiritual darkness. Make it your priority to follow Christ's example of giving spiritual light to those who hunger for it most.
4. Jesus used His ministry of "Light" to expose sin. The Savior came to show the world that how miserable they were trapped in a life of sin. The Good Shepherd came to lead His sheep out of the self-destructive tendencies of our sinful human nature. The Lord beamed His light to those who lived in darkness and ignorance to the eternal consequences of sin.
5. Jesus used His ministry of "Light" to brighten the paths toward success. Wherever Jesus went He gave people hope for a better way. Christ's light gave them greater clarity to see through the hypocrisy of their religious leaders. Jesus' light provided crystal clear perspectives about truth, love and grace in a day when the Pharisees had camouflaged it.
6. Jesus used His ministry of "Light" to provide a way to heaven. Everyone wants to escape the eternal tribulation of hell and Jesus' light spotlighted the path. No more do people have to wonder where they will spend eternity because of the light that enlightens every heart.
7. Jesus' "Light" provided the perfect example of one who walked in the light. No one will ever have to wonder how to find the will of God if they follow the footprints of Jesus. Christ's life, words and ministry provide a blueprint for how we should construct our lifestyle.
8. Jesus' "Light" revealed the love of God to ordinary people in extraordinary ways. Without the love of Jesus many religious people would not know the best ways to express love to one another. Jesus said, "He who has my commandments and keeps them, He it is who loves Me. And I will love him and manifest My love to him." (John 14:21)
9. Jesus' "Light" made everyone aware of their weakness and helplessness without God. When Jesus came to Peter and the disciples fishing, Peter threw himself into the sea and said, "Lord, I am a sinful (and helpless) man." All people who get close to the Lord are made aware of how He must increase and we must decrease in importance.
10. Jesus' "Light" gives insight into our future blessings. Those who walk with the Lord in the light of His word are given greater insight into what great blessings the Lord has in store for them.
11. Jesus' "Light" gives us insights into how we can maximize our potential. As we walk in the light of God's will we are giving increasing wisdom to know what ways we can make a greater qualitative and quantitative contribution that will last for eternity!