Summary: Looking at a church that has lost it’s first love
INTRO: How’s your love life? Take a poll on how long honeymoons last (answer by a show of hands). -How many think a honeymoon lasts one year, 6 months, 3 months, 1 month, 2 weeks, 1 day. Saying: Some say the honeymoon is the period of time when you say "I do". .& you better.
ex couple watching TV, a romantic scene came on the TV. Two actors were kissing passionately. Wife pokes husband in the ribs and says, "Honey, why don’t you kiss me like that?" and husband replied, "Honey, don’t you realize how much they’re paying him to do that?"
Truth: Marriage can become a loveless routine - the emotions, the passion can fade. You may do the right things or even say the right things but the heart has grown dim.
-Those who’ve been married awhile realize how easy this can happen (to lose your first love).
TS: Our Christian life can be just the same. You’ve had an experience with God (personal relationship with God). You’ve had that excitement. But over time your hearts have grown cold. You may say the right things or even do the right things, but you’ve lost your first love.
-We’re going to look at a church that has done just this - lost their first love.
TITLE.: How’s Your Love Life
TEXT: Rev. 2:1-7 (Read)
Explanation - Over the next several weeks we are going to be learning about different types of churches as well as different types of Christians (churches & Christians).
A.The formula that we should watch for: -Who is it addressed to
-Description of Jesus Christ
-Word of commendation
-Word of challenge or counsel
B.Background - These 7 churches are in Asia minor. The one church (Ephesus) we might know today a modern-day Turkey.
1. John has revelation of Jesus Christ (read Rev. 1:17-19). While he is exiled on the island of Patmos about these 7 churches.
-I believe it’s also addressed to us today!
C. Text -to the angel, GK word angolos meaning messenger.
-There are times in scripture translated angel but many times it’s translated messenger.
1. OT - Jesus quotes OT concerning John the Baptist, "I will send my angolos (messenger) ahead of you referring to John the Baptist.
2. Jesus entering into the city of Jerusalem, as he approached the city. The scriptures said be sent angolos (messengers) on ahead (referring to the disciples).
Point: The word angolos a more accurate description is messenger and isn’t a pastor a messenger. (many commentaries say to the pastor of the church).
D. Understand church Ephesus - large commercial center, largest city in Asia minor, fourth largest city in the Roman empire, it had a population around 250,000 people.
1. Known - gateway to Asia, seaport city on the Agean Sea. It was very cosmopolitan city. Had a theater that would seat 25,000 people - mega city.
2. Religious center - temple of Dyana (KJV) was there. Considered one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world. The temple was four times as large as the Parthanon in Greece.
-Dyana (KJV) pagan goddess of prostitutes or fertility - sexuality. An idol of Dyana (KJV) Artimus (NN) (a multi-bosom image of a woman).