Summary: The power and love of Jesus Christ over Satan and this world continue to amaze me.
I AM AMAZED
INTRO. I have been frightened several times, startled many times and stunned a few times; but I am amazed each time I read in the Holy Book about the love, compassion and power of the Son of God. Our text says "And they were all amazed". Jesus had just demonstrated again that He had power over the Devil and sin.
I. I AM AMAZED AT THE POWER OF JESUS OVER SATAN.
A. Peter said that Satan is like a roaring lion that goes about seeking whom he may devour.
1. Paul said that the devil is the prince of the power of the air and the god of this world.
2. In our text is a man who is completely possessed and controlled by an agent of the devil. (Vs. 33)
B. Some people say the devil is not real, that he does not exist. The man in our text could tell you that the devil is real. The devil was real to him and he is real to me. [A man may beleive rattlesnakes don’t exist; but that does not make him immune to their venom.]
1. There was a time when my life was at the mercy of Satan -- who has no mercy.
2. Eph. 2:1-3
C. But Jesus showed that he had power over the devil.
1. That is shown by the devil’s own admission (v.34)
2. He obeyed the command of Jesus (v. 35)
3. Knowing the terrible power that Satan has in the lives of men....knowing the lives he has wrecked and homes he has destroyed....the wars he has caused; I am amazed at the power of the Son of God over Satan. Amazed and thrilled.
4. Satan would fill my heart with hate for my enemies, but Jesus takes it away; Satan would load me down with sin and bring me into condemnation before God, but the blood of Jesus blots out my sin. Satan would bring me down into the pits of an eternal hell but like David, I can say of Jesus (Psa. 40:1-3).
II. I AM AMAZED AT GOD’S LOVE FOR ME.
A. The man in our text could not save himself. He was under the spell and power of the Devil, and while he was under Satan’s power he did and said many mean and hateful things to Jesus. (Vs. 34)
1. How many times have I almost shouted to the heaven "Leave me alone thou Jesus of Nazareth!"
2. When someone tells me that they don’t like me and that they don’t want to be around me, it causes me concern because I don’t like to not be liked.
3. But it is easy to hate someone who does not like you and it is equally hard to love someone that hates you.
B. Jesus did not get angry with the poor man in the text, but He did rebuke the devil.
1. God knows that when we say we want to have nothing to do with Him that it is not us but the devil who is influencing us to say the awful things we say. (Rom. 5:8) - "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
2. Even though I have said mean, hard and cruel, unjust things against God....yet he loved me and sent His own precious Son to die in my stead.
3. I am amazed at such love (Jn. 3:16).
III. I STAND AMAZED AT THE THRONE OF GRACE.
A. Two women came to King Solomon with a problem. They both claimed the same child. Solomon’s answer to the problem left all the people amazed at his great wisdom.