Summary: Many thanks to my pastor friend James Childers of the First Free Will Baptist Church in Chesnee, SC for this outline. There are a lot of things I am confused about in this nation of ours, but there are some things that I am not confused about!
PSALM 71:1 “I AM NOT CONFUSED”
A) I have never read about, or heard about, or seen a people that is as confused about things as
we are today ... We are confused about most everything!
* Politics confuse me – most of the time! * The pope confuses me – all of the time!
* Preachers confuse me – some of the time ... (Jealousy, backbiting, finding fault, judgmental, etc.)
* People confuse me – most, all, some of the time (See how confused I am)!
B) We are living in a confused world, full of confused people! * It has always been that way!
* Some 83 times in the Bible we read about confusion!
* Gen. 11:9 – Babel ... confused language. * Isa. 24:10 – Confused city of Tyre.
* Isa. 41:29 – Molten images caused confusion.
* Acts 19:29 – The whole city of Ephesus was filled with confusion.
* 1 Cor. 14:33 “For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the ...”
* James 3:16 “For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.”
C) There is one more verse of Scripture in the O.T. that I want us to look at and read together!
* Jer. 3:25 ... Here we see that sin and shame brings confusion!
* I am confused about some things that’s going on in our nation today!
D) For instance: I am confused about this abortion issue ... I don’t understand it at all!
* In the U.S. you can be fined $5000 and imprisoned for up to a year for breaking an eagle’s egg.
* You can be imprisoned and fined for stealing a sea turtle egg, and yet our babies are being killed
daily with little outcry!
* Prov. 31:9 says that a leader has the responsibility to speak out for the one who cannot speak, for
the rights of those who are doomed.
* My friends, you and I have the responsibility to support those who speak out for and defend those
who are unable to speak for themselves, namely unborn children!
E) I have been following the news about Scott Peterson ... Some of you know the story!
* The jury that convicted Scott Peterson for killing his wife Laci and their unborn baby Conner,
recommended that he be put to death for his crimes.
* Peterson was charged by the State of California for killing his wife as well as for killing his
unborn child, making it a special circumstances case eligible for the ultimate penalty, death.
* If Scott Peterson is going to be put to death for killing his unborn child, one baby, why isn’t
every abortion doctor in this nation, guilty of killing hundreds, even thousands of babies .......
* Also on death row for doing the same thing?
F) As I have watched the Peterson case unfold over these past 2 years, I have viewed the
coverage on the various networks like FOX, MSNBC, CNN, and CourtTV.
* I have been particularly interested in the passion and conviction of people like CourtTV anchors
Nancy Grace, Lisa Bloom, and Catherine Crier .......
* The attorney for Amber Frey, Gloria Allred, as well as other commentators as they shared their
belief not only in Peterson’s guilt, but the fact he deserved to be put to death for his crimes.
* The key to their arguments was always the fact that he not only killed his wife, but also his baby! * Sadly, too many men kill their wives but at most they receive a sentence of life in prison.