Summary: Jesus is the good shepherd, are you willing to let Him be your shepherd?
• SLIDE #1
• I do not know about you, but when I look in the Bible and see that God is constantly comparing us to sheep, I am a bit insulted. Why?
• There are many reasons, first except for lambs, they are not very cute. They are not great hunters. I do personally know of any institutions that use a SHEEP as a mascot. The University of Arizona Sheep! Go Sheep! Or the Fighting Sheep? Bah! Does not sound too intimidating does it. We do not go on great sheep hunts (except the bighorn ones). How hard would that be? PLAY UP BUBBA!
• Sheep are known for being passive and for being DUMB! REALLY…
• Thanks God!
• Sheep need a shepherd to lead them. Humans need a shepherd to lead them also. We all need someone to lead us.
• There are all kinds of people and things out there that are more than willing to try to lead us down certain paths in life, most of them are not good for us.
• Last week we contemplated the thought that Jesus is the door.
• I also want us to remember what we read in verse 10.
• SLIDE #2
• John 10:10(ESV) 10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
• I find it interesting that RIGHT after this statement, Jesus says, By the way I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD!
• I want us to look at WHY Jesus can call Himself the GOOD shepherd. The word “good” is a word that refers to one with noble character.
• What Jesus is saying is that you can trust His character, that He has not ulterior motives, no hidden agendas when it comes to wanting to lead you.
• The end of verse 10 explains WHAT He WANTS for you and if you are willing to follow Him that is what you will GET!
• So let us examine why Jesus can say that He is the Good Shepherd!
• Let’s begin with verses 11-13
• SLIDE #3
• John 10:11-13(ESV) 11I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.
• SLIDE #4
Jesus is the Good Shepherd because:
I. Jesus is fully committed to all the sheep.
• In part Jesus is the Good shepherd because of His full and total commitment to the sheep.
• Jesus tells us that the Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. FOR emphasizes the fact that Jesus’ was a sacrifice on behalf of the sheep.
• In other words, Jesus died for YOU!
• Jesus was willing to make the supreme sacrifice for the sheep.
• This is in stark contrast to those who were the hired hand/
• Jesus is fully committed to us because He bought us with a price.
• SLIDE #5
• 1 Corinthians 7:23(ESV) 23You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men.
• Jesus owns the sheep so naturally He will be committed to them.
• When you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and are baptized into Him, you belong to Him.
• When you own something, you tend to want to take care of what you own. Jesus is fully committed to giving you the abundant life that He died and rose again to give.
• In verse 2 we get a picture of what the “hired hand” will do. These “hired hands” could have been a reference to the religious leaders of the time who had no investment in the flock, who were just there to get what they could get out of the sheep.
• The hired hand sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.
• WE need to understand that those who will try to be a shepherd to you other than Jesus will not and do not have your best interests in their minds and hearts.
• As soon as times get tough they will leave you high and dry. They will do that because they do not care for you.
• I would contend that the stuff we get addicted to, the stuff that pulls us away from Jesus cares not one bit for us, they will suck the life right out of us until there is nothing left, then they will go on to the next victim!