Summary: What Jesus did after ascending back to Heaven
Note: The Bible by Jesus will be used throughout this lesson unless otherwise noted after each Bible reference.
A. WHAT HAPPENED AT THE ASCENSION?
1. The forces took Me to heaven.
b. Was active. “I passed into the heavens” (Heb. 4:14). “I go to My Father” (John 16:10).
2. I ended My self-limitation. “I gave up My divine privilege” (Phil. 2:6). The Kenosis (pouring out).
a. Veiled My divine glory.
b. Took on human limitations, and,
c. Gave up My voluntary independent use of comparative attributes. “The Father highly exalted Me” (Phil. 2:9).
4. I was exalted to new authority. “The Father said to Me . . . I have put Your enemies under Your feet” (Ps. 110.1). “The Father has exalted Me and given Me a name above all other names” (Phil. 2:9).
B. WHAT I AM DOING IN HEAVEN
1. I and the Holy Spirit gave believers spiritual authority and power. “Tarry and pray in Jerusalem until I fill you with power from on high” (Luke 24:49).
2. I sent the Holy Spirit. “I will not leave you alone . . . I will send the Holy Spirit (John 14:18, 26).
a. Illumination – “He will explain all things to you” (John 14:26).
b. Draw – “He will speak freely to hearts about Me” (John 15:26).
c. Convict – “He will convict – cause people to see sin, righteousness, and judgment” (John 16:8).
d. Indwelling – “He now lives with you, but will dwell in you” (John 14:17).
e. Filling – “He will have living waters flowing out of His inner being . . . I was referring to the abundance of the Holy Spirit” (John 7:38-39).
3. I gave spiritual gifts. “When I ascended . . . I gave gifts to My people.” “Each person has a special ability (gift) from the Father” (1 Cor. 7:7). “I have given to each of you a great variety of spiritual gifts” (1 Peter 4:8).
4. I prepared a home for each believer. “There are many mansions in My Father’s house. I am going to prepare a house for you” (John 14:2-3).
5. I gave you a new standing. “In Christ” (used 172 times by Paul). “The Father has raised you up and made you sit together in heavenly places in Me” (Eph. 2:6).
a. I in you. This happens at salvation. “But as many as . . . received” (Gal. 2:2). This is active.
b. You in me. This is your new position. “If anyone is in Me, he is a new creation” (2 cor. 5:17).
7. I am your advocate. An advocate is a lawyer who presents (and pleads) your case before a judge. “John is writing to you so you will not sin. But if you sin, I am your advocate who pleads your case before the Father” (1 John 2:1).
a. Don’t claim you never sin. “If you claim you have not sinned, you call the Father a liar” (1 John 1:10).
b. Don’t clam you do not have a sin nature. “If you claim you don’t have a sin nature, you are only fooling yourself” (1 John 1:8).
c. For forgiveness and cleansing. “If you confess your sins, I am faithful to forgive your sins, and cleanse from all wickedness” (John 1:9).
8. I am your intercessor. I present your prayer and needs to the Father. “Because I am the man who lives forever, I can save you once and forever when you come to the Father through Me. I am your intercessor before the Father” (Heb. 7:24-25).
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.